Testing my understanding of beast hunting

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

vermonthunter16
500 Club

Testing my understanding of beast hunting

Unread postby vermonthunter16 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:10 am

Hey!

Basically I am just trying to test my beast style understanding with a spot that I my use in the fall not too far from school. It is a marsh, east side is extremely thing, very hard to get through, lots of small spruce. The west there is an old logging road that goes in quite close to some of the points. The area usually has a SW to W wind and that is marked on the map, as well as what I think could be good bedding points. All criticism is appreciated :)

-Rick
BigHunt

Re: Testing my understanding of beast hunting

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:23 am

looks good but also looks like there is a few spots i would check out , out in the marsh. I see a few small islands that most likely will have bedding on them or near them
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
vermonthunter16
500 Club

Unread postby vermonthunter16 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:24 am

Good call BIGHUNT, I actually didn't notice or think about them. Thanks
-Rick
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:46 am

What a great looking marsh- tons of potential. I think you and Bighunt have mentioned some great looking spots to check already.

I am immediately drawn to the northern transition of this marsh. It offers greater security and escape for mature buck bedding. I marked a few of these potential beds in yellow. The possible beds in this northern area are removed from your roads and hunter access. They give the buck mulitple travel routes in many directions to feed... and most importantly to escape. The bucks can move north and south along your swamp transitions, they can move or escape all along the northern edge, and two more travel / feed / escape corridors lie along that transition that breaks to the northeast (the upper right of your pic if it isn't lined up north and south).

Safety / security, direct lines of escape in many directions, numerous transitions to travel toward feed... that northern corridor would draw me like a tick on a hound.

There's lots more potential bedding on your pic, what an awesome looking spot. 8-)

vermonthunter16
500 Club

Unread postby vermonthunter16 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:02 am

Great points Bridge I should have posted a bigger photo than the one I did however, the more you know huh :P There is a major road to the north through the wooded area, the trail on the left isn't really used often, people hunt it but everyone seems to overlook the marsh because it almost looks "Too obvious" and like nothing would be there. Perfect right?! The airport to the south also puts people off, the few people who do hunt stay on the power line to the right of the image that goes to the airport and hunt deer that head into the fields on the right as well.

Here is a bigger picture.

The line to the right going into a field is a very well used deer trail crossing in.

-Rick
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:30 am

I anticipated that you may tell me there's a major road to the north! I would still put a scouting priority on that area for the reasons I listed. In any given area there are only so many bedding spots that protect a buck well enough to get some age on him- that area contains many of those ingredients. Also I often find that the number of hunters accessing an area are higher from woods roads like those on the left... Not always but often enough.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
vermonthunter16
500 Club

Unread postby vermonthunter16 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:51 am

:lol: I should have put a close picture and zoomed out picture. I have in mind where I am gonna sit blind, its a little too close to do that now I think. Ill make a few sits as there are enough points and I know where they are heading for food. I will definitely check out the North as well. This was more of an experiment to make sure I understand the basics of marsh hunting as I do not usually hunt marshes.

Thanks!
-Rick
TN Whitetail Freak
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/307728519407218/

Unread postby TN Whitetail Freak » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:12 am

Check these points on the body of water

[ Post made via Android ] Image
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:10 pm

Very much agree with SB, the points are obvious places to check out but you have to ask yourself if you were a wise old buck where is the most secure area going to be? Where are no other hunters ever going to go? The points might work great for bedding but I don't know that they are the best bedding in this area.
vermonthunter16
500 Club

Unread postby vermonthunter16 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:21 am

Headgear, I would think that the area to check then would be the small islands in the middle of the marsh, which makes complete sense. Its so nice for everything to be clicking now and understand where and why.
-Rick

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”