how do you navigate

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

oldrank

how do you navigate

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:39 am

What r some of you guys using to navigate in large tracts of land. Some of my favorite places to hunt are far off the beaten path. I usually use a compass or will scuff up the leaves on my way in. Ive tried the glow tacks but it seems like everyone is using em now... I bought a back tracker to mark way points but it doesnt get a signal in some areas n same with my phone..
How r u guys getting around in the big woods?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Last edited by oldrank on Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: how do you navigate

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:55 am

For scouting and hunting the big woods and swamps I use two compasses, hip boots and a topo map at a minimum. If I know I'll be out past dark and depending on what I'm up against I may take a gps and a small flashlight... the gps and its batteries are never as important to me as those two compasses... I have navigated areas that are as deep and remote as most hunters want to bother with.

cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:06 am

I navigate with my iphone & compass as a backup. I rarely if ever have cell service, but the phone's gps always gets a signal. The compass is always a sure thing & great for general navigation, but at least for me I have zero chance of returning to within 20 yds of a desired location.
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:25 am

On public in Canada I mark my truck with a waterproof GPS and shut it off. I also mark any land bridges I think I might want to cross again on the way back to the truck with that GPS. I have two compasses. And I carry a topo map of the area. When hunting I use my compass and I do use my Android with topo and aerials that are pre-fetched. I don't have cell coverage there. But I don't rely on that Android device because it's not waterproof. That's why I mark my truck with the other GPS. My GPS doesn't have maps but I know how to translate UTM coordinates over to the topo map to get within about 10 meters of a spot if my Android dies.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:34 am

GPS in my head until it gets too dark, then a compass. Just need to know the basic lay of the land and a few terrain features or landmarks and you are good to go.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:34 am

I will do a lot of scouting on line then create a map with specific areas to look for.

Once on foot I start marking spots on my gps & make notes on the paper map then upload and create another (more accurate) map.

Step/trip #2 will be to select the known areas and trees with a little more info @ hand and/or thoughts and review the spots.
If it looks to be worthy of my findings; I'll cut my stand in and mark my platform height w/ green tape so I don't have to worry about what height I'm supposed to be at.
This also helps me remember what tree I selected (plus people don't usually look 15-20" up a tree for tape)...

After I cut the stand in i will make note of the way the wind is blowing that particular day and drop some milkweed to see what effects I could be against...

Lastly, I go to said tree and kill big buck!!!
:mrgreen:
If i'm 50% lucky that day.
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:41 am

I carry topos and a compass.
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:46 am

I was going to mention if you know your GPS coordinates and want to pinpoint that spot on a paper topo this is the tool for the job. $7

http://www.benmeadows.com/c-thru-utm-grid-reader-clear-5h-x-6l_s_126575/?gclid=Cj0KEQjwr-KeBRCMh92Ax9rNgJ8BEiQA1OVm-CU7HbYDfVjlJWIQfnkZL3TNO4wE-VX_qpJHKdU-axcaAn0Y8P8HAQ&CID=BMPL10&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=126575&ef_id=U6G@nwAABQtFWoAG:20140730183113:s

If you haven't used one, it looks crazy. But that's only because it has markings for maps of different scales. It is not hard to learn.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:16 am

cbigbear wrote:I navigate with my iphone & compass as a backup. I rarely if ever have cell service, but the phone's gps always gets a signal. The compass is always a sure thing & great for general navigation, but at least for me I have zero chance of returning to within 20 yds of a desired location.

This reminds me of a time I had a tag-along that wanted to gun hunt with me... It took an hour and a half to reach our stands on remote islands in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. When we scouted the islands earlier in the year we were satisfied with our setups, and began the trip back to my truck through some hellish cover and water where you could rarely see more than 30 feet in any direction. Here and there I would whip out my compass and take a look before continuing on (he was following me and scared to death). This was before hunters had gps units available, for the most part. As it turned out we stepped out of the swamp with the tailgate of my truck 30 yards in front of us... I acted like that was what I expected (we had never made the trip back there before). We loaded our gear into my truck and took off, and that's how legends are born. :lol:

We had two (2) good bucks back there and one of them was a Beast... He showed on my buddy's island but a shot was never fired as the buck picked him off. I ended up taking a 9 pt that dressed right at the desired 200# mark... we spent the next day and a half getting my buck out. My buddy was built like a brick # house, wonder how that happened? :mrgreen:
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:27 am

Good stuff.. I also keep a topo of all my areas in my phone.. there r days still when i seem to forget all of the above. .haha

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:49 am

In the old days up in the bigwoods I used nothing but my compass. Lately I'm getting pretty spoiled with my Garmin Oregon 450t with topo and aerials. Always nice seeing what's up ahead and this really cuts down on a lot of unproductive walking. I also use my iPhone with aerials if I have reception and really want much more detail.

Oh yeah I still carry two compasses for backup since I would never trust my life with electronic devices.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:59 am

Compass and a paper topo.

I'd like to buy a GPS but just haven't yet. The compass and map has taken me a lot of places without fail.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:23 am

Dewey wrote:In the old days up in the bigwoods I used nothing but my compass. Lately I'm getting pretty spoiled with my Garmin Oregon 450t with topo and aerials. Always nice seeing what's up ahead and this really [glow=red]cuts down on a lot of unproductive walking.[/glow] I also use my iPhone with aerials if I have reception and really want much more detail.

Oh yeah I still carry two compasses for backup since I would never trust my life with electronic devices.

x2

With more knowledge of buck bedding tendencies and buck travel tendencies I can get rid of a lot of unproductive walking by having better plans with a topo.
seeds

Unread postby seeds » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:36 pm

Compass and topo or aerial pic (or likely both).

There's a compass in my fkip-ohone,I don't have a smart ('spensive) phone. Yet.... I usually have a Garmin etrex basic GPS but seldom use it unless I leave something in really thick brush like a deer or my pack,or I find something small of particular interest in that dense cover.

I bought my fist GPS the day after getting lost in an unexpected whiteout on a 10,000 acre lake. I had a compass but lost it....Now it's ALWAYS at least one compass,the GS (when important) and if I'm marking waypoints,two extra sets of fresh batteries.

Right now there is a compass in the center console of my truck and another in a small daypack in back. There's also a GPS in that pack (and bug spray and a headnet and...). I also have a folder of any public lands I've been considering scouting this summer. If for some reason I fnd my self over in "that" direction with a couple hours to kill I'm ready.

also have an extra pair of marsh boots I the truck
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:06 pm

I never go out with out a compass. Even if I'm in 100 acres. Cloudy and dark you will not walk a straight line.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”