Locking down bucks without shining.

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Re: Locking down bucks without shining.

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:31 am

JoeRE wrote:I have shined only a modest amount over the years and can't say I found it a huge benefit other than getting a person all worked up over seeing a bunch of big bucks so he can't sleep the rest of the night :lol: My bread and butter tactics for patterning bucks has been using glassing and trail cams to ID a specific buck's tracks around food sources, then scouting for those tracks along field edges, ditch crossings, and the like to nail down his habits.

Haha I could only imagine. Wish it was legal here in MO but probably best for my sleeping habits that it's not.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:06 pm

Bowhunter4life wrote:
JoeRE wrote:I have shined only a modest amount over the years and can't say I found it a huge benefit other than getting a person all worked up over seeing a bunch of big bucks so he can't sleep the rest of the night :lol: My bread and butter tactics for patterning bucks has been using glassing and trail cams to ID a specific buck's tracks around food sources, then scouting for those tracks along field edges, ditch crossings, and the like to nail down his habits.

Haha I could only imagine. Wish it was legal here in MO but probably best for my sleeping habits that it's not.

It is my favorite tactic to find a target buck. You can waste a lot of time running trail camera.

Step 1: Find the buck with spot light
Step 2: Keep moving the cams and attempt to find his happy place
Step 3: Kill him

Step 2 is the hardest. Spot lights help you cover large portions of ground to find a target buck. They don't identify where he spends his daylight time! Seeing a buck with the spotlight and killing him are completely different things!
hammer

Unread postby hammer » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:16 pm

X2!
Couldn't agree more with you bassboy. I have given up many hours of sleep to go shining at all hours of the night, which i do feel is very beneficial. It is step one. Then comes the hard part- trying to figure him out. Seeing him gives you the knowledge he's there, but can be frustrating when you know he's there, but you cannot pinpoint where he's spending the majority of his time

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”