Influence on bedding, wind vs thermals.

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

croz2173

Influence on bedding, wind vs thermals.

Unread postby croz2173 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:57 am

Hello all. I hunt mostly steep hill country and I'm just getting started trying to figure out where bucks might be bedded at a given time. I think I have a pretty good understanding of thermals and how the deer should be able to use them. Where I struggle more is the wind. Where I live we dont very often have much of wind over a few MPH. I'm wondering if there might be a point where the wind is at a low enough velocity to where the windward/leeward side of hill doesn't really make much difference? Especially on steep ground with deep cuts in many different directions shifting the breeze all over the place? If there is little or no wind to speak of, would bucks tend to simply bed on the most convenient point close to a food source?

croz2173

Re: Influence on bedding, wind vs thermals.

Unread postby croz2173 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:58 pm

To Clarify a little, are there times when thermals and topography should be the focus regardless of prevailing wind?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:25 am

I have seen bucks bed on shelves where wind is not a factor but getting close from above is near impossible... But, if there is any slight wind current at all, my observations have been that big bucks will tend to bed at the point where that wind current and thermal current come together, particularly on points or knobs.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:36 am

Light winds are often variable and in hill country you will find spots where the wind comes from all four direction within a short period of time. I have found bucks bedding in areas like this where they seem to get continuous 'puffs' of scent from different directions.

Not sure if that makes sense but when you sit in the bed you will see the wind is constantly changing there, is isn't necessarily 'swirling' but it is more like 'sloshing' back and forth due to light wind gusts, topography and thermals all fighting each other...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
croz2173

Unread postby croz2173 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:06 pm

dan wrote:I have seen bucks bed on shelves where wind is not a factor but getting close from above is near impossible...

Ive run into this as well. A North facing cliff that has extremely steep and thick terrain above it, it seems to always hold a nice buck regardless of conditions, but I've never been able to use it for anything but a drive.

PalmettoKid wrote:Light winds are often variable and in hill country you will find spots where the wind comes from all four direction within a short period of time. I have found bucks bedding in areas like this where they seem to get continuous 'puffs' of scent from different directions.

Not sure if that makes sense but when you sit in the bed you will see the wind is constantly changing there, is isn't necessarily 'swirling' but it is more like 'sloshing' back and forth due to light wind gusts, topography and thermals all fighting each other...

Yes I notice a lot of that "sloshing" action in places I hunt too. I suppose that would make a buck feel pretty safe also. What led me to my initial question really was reading about how the ideal points tend to be SE facing, so they would be leeward from prevailing wind. The couple large public tracts I hunt don't have many ideal points as I understand them, at least not large pronounced ones. I think I'm going to have to be looking for more subtle humps and bumps on the ridges. Also cant wait to go find some of the milk weed seeds you guys talk about and throw them all over the place.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:55 am

PalmettoKid wrote:Light winds are often variable and in hill country you will find spots where the wind comes from all four direction within a short period of time. I have found bucks bedding in areas like this where they seem to get continuous 'puffs' of scent from different directions.

Was just going to post something like this, if there is any kind of breeze there will be a place they can take advantage, it might not be the traditional hill country bedding but a combination of things like swirling winds and thermal areas they like.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:17 am

Not just hills, but I have found worn out buck beds in areas that catch me by surprise, and further checking with milk weed shows air currents coming from all the vulnerable directions and/or swirling at the bed position... One thing is a constant, despite whether or not YOU understand why, mature bucks bed in specific exact positions for specific reasons... They are going to be in the spot that protects them the best from all predators.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”