Indentifying funnels on a topo map

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Indentifying funnels on a topo map

Unread postby mheichelbech » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:59 am

Can someone please provide examples of what funnels look like on a topo map? I am familiar with saddles but not always so sure about what a good funnel would look like.

Thanks.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Re: Indentifying funnels on a topo map

Unread postby cbigbear » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:21 am

A couple I've hunted. Both have water barriers the deer prefer not to cross.

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:06 am

That's great! I should be a little more clear, that is the kind of thing I was looking for....good funnels that aren't always obvious at first glance I guess, the tops of deep draws, transition lines, etc.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:07 am

Here are some examples in hill country.

The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
lungpuncher1

Unread postby lungpuncher1 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:46 am

I'd love to see more. I can identify saddles quickly but as far as benches and other terrain funnels I sometimes struggle.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:01 am

I prefer to look for funnels on aerials more than topos. Many times vegetation is not clearly marked on topos and this can make a huge difference if a deer uses that terrain feature or not.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:10 am

Dewey wrote:I prefer to look for funnels on aerials more than topos. Many times vegetation is not clearly marked on topos and this can make a huge difference if a deer uses that terrain feature or not.

For sure. Transition lines and such. Strips of timber, etc.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:22 am

Ridge points can act as funnels

Hubs can act as funnels... although when the "hub" is tighter it is better that the picture shown. (I killed my buck last year off a 3 pronged hub at the top of a drainage) see the rigdes goin off in 5 different directions... when a buck is cruizn he will pop over the top of the hub to get to the other ridge points

Inside corners... you can see in the topo the green is likely timber where as the lighter color is likely open... so a couple inside corners

I marked 4 spots on the big saddle when then opening between points is high you need to hunt it based on wind

A "SUPER" funnel is where more than one of these features come together... on this map that ridge point pushes down with the inside corner so that doubles the "fun" so to speak

I marked the tops of tighter rises in elevation... the tighter the line changes in elevation the more likely a cruizn or running deer has to cross over the top or bottom of that elevation change

There are even more than I marked on that map... but it was getting messy already :lol:

Hope that helps some
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:25 am

Dewey wrote:I prefer to look for funnels on aerials more than topos. Many times vegetation is not clearly marked on topos and this can make a huge difference if a deer uses that terrain feature or not.

I do both to confirm
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:29 am

I just want to show the simple most common (in my opinion) funnel for hill country... I just grabbed a random location I have no attachment too... With a west wind cruising bucks will tend to cruise the leeward side hills looking for does bedded on the points or near them. They are going to stay close to the thermal tunnel but may or may not cut corners. Purple lines represent the area I would expect bucks to cruise on a west wind. My ideal set up would be the top of a deep draw where all the deer trails would funnel together ( the red dot)

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:32 am

BigHunt wrote:

I do both to confirm

Me too but much of the land I hunt is flat marsh with very little elevation change so aerials are much more useful.

Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:34 am

What is a "hub"? All these civilian terms is very confusing.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:35 am

Crazinamatese wrote:What is a "hub"? All these civilian terms is very confusing.

Where multiple ridges (in this case 5) come together like spokes on a wheel... the "hub" is the center
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:36 am

Bucky wrote:
Crazinamatese wrote:What is a "hub"? All these civilian terms is very confusing.

Where multiple ridges (in this case 5) come together like spokes on a wheel... the "hub" is the center

Okay, got it. Just another name for a hilltop.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:38 am

Crazinamatese wrote:
Bucky wrote:

Okay, got it. Just another name for a hilltop.

It has to have multiple ridges though.. the more the better

The LEAST obvious funnels are the ones that Dan teaches in his videos... the thermal tunnel plus a terrain feature on a leeward side of the hill... those are often overlooked compared to in your face topo funnels that everyone can learn in a relative short period of time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”