Go Pro Drones

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

basspro05
500 Club

Go Pro Drones

Unread postby basspro05 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:11 am

How soon do you think it will happen, or do you think it is already happening... These remote control drones that can fly 35mph and take first person view video, how many people are using to scout deer or animals they hunt?

I was at a major fishing tournament and they were using these drones to video the take off. They followed the boats around and took video of the professional anglers.

Basically you could fly it to known bedding areas to check on deer etc... or fly it over food plots etc. The uses are endless

I have no clue if it would scare deer off.

This isn't something I could ever see myself utilizing, because I think it takes a lot of the hardwork and the fair chase out of scouting and hunting deer, but I could see this as the new ultimate lazy hunters tool.

Dewey

Re: Go Pro Drones

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:21 am

I could see this being used in a very bad way by lazy hunters. Could you imagine putting in the hard work scouting to find a remote spot to hunt and then some yahoo follows you with a drone and ruins your hunt. I would hope there are some very strict rules put on this because it could become a huge problem with hunter harassment. I can see the anti's really being a problem with an eye in the sky.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:34 am

i think these drones should be considered an extension of the person operating it, meaning if you don't have permission to stand on a piece of land you also do not have permission to fly over it. Also, I think any areas that are considered foot access only, means that you can't access it by flying a drone over it. Enforcement might be tough, might have to take matters into my own hands if i see one by me
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:46 am

I believe P&Y already made these illegal or is in the process of making these illegal if used in conjunction to killing an animal. Scary stuff man. Everybody wants to be on display. So much for finding solitude in nature. Aldo Leopold and Fred Bear are rolling in their graves :cry:
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:55 am

They are already in use for deer scouting and preprogrammed to video an entire property or hunting area, not that uncommon around here. The drone has a grid flight pattern with specific coordinates to fly before it takes off and will video whatever it is directed to.

They are expensive but this is no deterrent, as you can rent them for greatly reduced cost to fly your property or hunting land. All the video is immediately available to use on your computer and it can be very advanced, far beyond a Go Pro. There is no need to tell anyone that you are using it for scouting as most people use it to analyze crops, property lines, etc. and who is to say what else.

This is worrisome technology, it will be interesting to see everything that develops.
basspro05
500 Club

Unread postby basspro05 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:57 am

I brought the topic up because it crossed my mind when a customer was telling me about using his to video his entire property...

I would find no pride or accomplishment in killing an animal I had to scout with a drone camera, but thats just me, I know others will think its great
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:22 am

Here's a video from a drone of a home for sale (even waterproof)

http://vimeo.com/98693619
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
wdog

Unread postby wdog » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:12 pm

No way that it stays legal for hunting.
Tom's Hunting Lodge
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Toms-Hun ... 9489827174

Unread postby Tom's Hunting Lodge » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:03 pm

Theres been a lot of Buzz about them lately, on hunting sites and as mentioned with P & Y. I don't like them, takes the Hunt out of Hunting. Love the element of surprise ! I like the exercise and self pride we get putting on miles in the thick and nasty scouting then the pay off with that punched tag as our end result.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”