Logging companies

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hoganator

Logging companies

Unread postby hoganator » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:02 am

My main hunting ground is the backside of a gravel pit containing lots of old oaks and lots of thick cover. Last year I was guaranteed deer sightings by setting up between the thick stuff and the producing oak trees. This year the gravel pit had their entire property logged, and I have yet to be back there since they did it, but every tree over 12 inches diameter was marked, including my oaks. I feel like I have to start at square one- Finding their main food source in the fall, their new trails, and finding their bedding areas, which could really be anywhere... (For those who dont know, loggers take the tree up to a certain height and leave the limbs, leaders, tops, etc. Leaving lots of deadfall for deer to bed in.) This land is hilly and between two bodies of water/ swamp.

I am new here and am thoroughly impressed by the knowledge shared by you folks. I'm trying to learn this beast method and would appreciate a little advice on how you would tackle my situation.

Thanks!

Knute78
500 Club

Re: Logging companies

Unread postby Knute78 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:10 am

Sounds like one of their primary food sources at certain times of year just became a prime bedding location with all the slash they produced from logging. Might have to dive in and take a look to figure it out for this year. The sooner the better I'd imagine.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Genesis 27:3

"Now then, please take your gear, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me;"
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:20 am

I think most bucks will continue to bed according to topography. Does/yearlings generally move into the new cover. That is what I have seen in the past anyways.

But that is just a guess without boots on the ground.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:58 am

Being "married" to only a handful of properties will eventually backfire on you. I agree above you just got a new large bedding area to work with but I would spread out and find several new locations to hunt. Why have 4-5 good spots when you can have 25+.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:04 am

If its hilly land bucks should still bed based on topography. main Food will most likely be the area logged unless there is crops or other oaks in the area.
hoganator

Unread postby hoganator » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:42 pm

headgear wrote:Being "married" to only a handful of properties will eventually backfire on you. I agree above you just got a new large bedding area to work with but I would spread out and find several new locations to hunt. Why have 4-5 good spots when you can have 25+.

I have a few other spots to hunt, I am partial to this one as it is just down the road from me.

I am working ridiculous hours but plan on heading in this weekend to check it out. Thanks for all the responses! I will keep you all posted.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:16 pm

PalmettoKid wrote:I think most bucks will continue to bed according to topography. Does/yearlings generally move into the new cover. That is what I have seen in the past anyways.

But that is just a guess without boots on the ground.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

X2. The bucks will still bed up on those hills (mainly the points). Especially if they have some decent vision. The mast may drastically decrease, but there may still be a few acorns coming down from those smaller trees that will bring in some bucks.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:35 am

Logging will make the property better, even if they took out oak trees. It may make it more difficult to hunt but it will ultimately hold more deer. If the oaks were dropping acorns, I would assume they were pretty good sized trees. With the canopy opened up from the logging, the browse will explode, likely generating more varieties of browse and probably more quantity than what was provided by the acorns before. The land will have a higher carrying capacity meaning you should see an increase in all wildlife including deer. The tree tops left behind will create bedding but almost as important they create travel barricades also, making for pretty obvious ambush locations. Also there are likely oak trees that will be left that are mature enough to produce acorns but previously were not because they were not getting sufficient nutrients before with the larger trees around. Just my 2 cents. Good luck
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:00 am

That property will become a deer meca. I agree with the topography bedding and the food sources will multiply. At least from what I've seen in logged areas. It may be like starting over again but it sounds good.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
hoganator

Unread postby hoganator » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:09 pm

Sorry I forgot to check back in! I have been scouting the property extensively. I am beginning to apply some of my knowledge from the beast to my scouting trips and I am already excited for October first!

The property looks 100% different. I have located some oaks that the loggers left standing and have even found a small ridge of apple trees. Beds are everywhere,particularly at the top or near the top of the hills. I jumped lots of deer and found some sizeable rubs from last year. I am having a hard time distinguishing a buck bed from a doe bed. I will have to do a little bit more research here on the beast!

Also- just put out a trail camera (Due to my college budget I only have one) and will let you guys know what shows up on that!

Thanks for all your advice and suggestions!
Florida
500 Club
Facebook: facebook.com/huntinggeardeals

Unread postby Florida » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:37 am

Thanks for following up. Sounds like you'll have an exciting season.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
http://www.huntinggeardeals.com
Co-Host Down South Hunting Podcast
Chuck-C24
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DrCunico

Unread postby Chuck-C24 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:21 am

Any new info/updates/pics? I'm interested!

An area I scouted has the same thing going on up top. They are logging all the pine on the top of a mountain.
[wave=blue]Dr. Charles C. DC[/wave]

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”