Nice Peninsula Bed - Encounter

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Nice Peninsula Bed - Encounter

Unread postby dan » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:10 pm

PalmettoKid wrote:Sweet, you have a plan of attack? Can you slip in close with a kayak on S winds or something? Seems very huntable with a gun… seems like a tough spot with bow.

Actually I think it looks easy with a bow if you come from dry land and set up near the mouth of the point.

chasemukluk

Unread postby chasemukluk » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:39 am

If he is not pressured, you should be able to set up and the land will funnel him right to ya! Good find!
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:16 am

dan wrote:
PalmettoKid wrote:Sweet, you have a plan of attack? Can you slip in close with a kayak on S winds or something? Seems very huntable with a gun… seems like a tough spot with bow.

Actually I think it looks easy with a bow if you come from dry land and set up near the mouth of the point.

Yea I guess, just figured he could see and/or smell the entrance to the point.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Florida-East

Unread postby Florida-East » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:57 am

How did this hunt turn out?
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:25 pm

Good bump! I'm curious to know as well.

I have a very similar spot that I hunted last year. This buck would take the same route in each time, so I could check for his track and find out if he was there without pressuring the bedding area. Then the one day I had a confirmed track and sighting he was there with the exact opposite wind that I expected. I had expected him to be very difficult to hunt because I thought he would head there with the wind coming down the peninsula, but he did the exact opposite.

I was trying to set up, and a fisherman in his boat bumped him at the wrong time. I got busted.

Initially I figured that maybe this buck was just getting old and lazy. But there is also a lot of satellite beds in this area so maybe he was counting on the other deer to alert him. Or sound since it is very thick. Or maybe since this is a spot most people do not walk that he found that he monitored human traffic on the lake more than any other threat. Maybe he liked the consistent lake thermals in the evening that draw air down to the lake just as he is about to get up in the evening. I don't really know I'm just throwing out options.

It's a head scratcher sometimes trying to think like a deer.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:42 pm

Or maybe the approach to his bed was perfect and he knew the peninsula was clear of predators that morning. Maybe to him the approach to bedding was super important. Or maybe the wind did a 180 sometime after he bedded and he didn't want to move. Time to check the journal!

Thanks for getting the wheels turning!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
Missionshooter
500 Club

Unread postby Missionshooter » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:42 am

semperfidelis wrote:I would not have suspected a buck would bed here. He has limited escape routes and the wind seems wrong. What threat would approach him from the south?

Am I missing something?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

I would have to agree. It seems like the buck would be trapped on that peninsula. I figured bucks would like to have multiple escape routes.....

Good find though!!
STLBowhunter Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKzQUpmjiy8
bobbo1686

Unread postby bobbo1686 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:20 pm

I've been wondering about thin peninsulas that end in deep water. In this case it runs east west and I figured a buck would use it to bed like he would a typical point. However as some others have said it just seems to not leave the buck very many escape options which would be unusual for mature bucks to do. Are bedding areas in these locations common? What wind are guys finding these bucks are using when they are bedded in this type of combination?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”