Ideal Topo Setup

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

Ideal Topo Setup

Unread postby backstraps » Wed May 28, 2014 10:27 am

I know many do not want to share maps of your hunting spots, understandably so...

BUT, when you veteran topo readers look at topo maps of land you have never set foot on, what are some features you look for FIRST. Features that you prefer to hunt over any other.

Not that question I know has many variables, but for discussion sake, lets say this is a very large tract of wood land, with very little hunter access and pressure. I am curious of actual features you like the best.

PK_
500 Club

Re: Ideal Topo Setup

Unread postby PK_ » Wed May 28, 2014 11:05 am

I hope this topic gets some good replies. I really hope to hunt some hill country in 2015…

I will start it off with a novice perspective...

My hunting on land with topography is limited, but I have certainly noticed and recently reaffirmed the notion that bucks many times will gravitate to the steepest of areas. So I that is something I look for.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed May 28, 2014 12:02 pm

I like to hunt "crows feet" features.

I would like to see some good examples of points that hold buck beds in several different wind directions....

Also would like to see examples of how to spot good points with buck bed potential v/s typical points
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed May 28, 2014 9:33 pm

Long narrow steep points that point S.East.
djw195

Unread postby djw195 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:04 am

dan wrote:Long narrow steep points that point S.East.

Care to expand on those types of points Dan? Why you prefer them, what you’ve seen hunting those types of points, maybe an example?

I also hope this topic gets a few replies, I think this is a great topic for discussion. Autumn Ninja and Bucky come to mind as members with great advice/ideas to offer here.

I’ve hunted hill country in earnest for probably 4 years. I really key in on terrain for rut funnels. I scour maps all the time and the biggest thing I look for is really deep cut where the easiest path around it is the wind tunnel that separates lots of bedding points, especially points that take advantage of prevailing wind (for me, that usually means NW, W, SW winds). The steeper the terrain the better, I hunt river bluff country and the travel seems to be more defined where the topography is more rugged, as well as the bedding.

To add above, it gets even better if there is some kind of convergence of terrain, I see hardwoods/pine transition meeting the 1/3 elevation in some scenarios and these are excellent travel areas. I’ve seen lots of cruising bucks in this type of set up… I would say this type of convergence is my favorite.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:03 am

Mature bucks really key in on wind advantages for bedding. The most common wind in the Midwest seems to be N .West. A point that points in the direction of S.E. woulD cover just about any wind. The only bad wind would be a S.E.

If there is a point across the valley that covers a S.E. wind, you got pretty much everything the buck needs.

To get into more detail, sharp drop offs at the end of the points are a plus cause they really lock in the position of the thermal tunnel.
Now, make the timber thick up top, and more open below the thermal tunnel and bucks love it. Long narrow points make great spots because with a wind down the point they can smell a predator coming from above, and with thermals rising all around the tip he can smell anything below..

Make human access difficult and you have another great plus.
HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:24 pm

Awesome info. I am really liking deep cuts but have no knowledge yet to see if they work. Im new to this but very interested in the beast ways!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:09 pm

As dan mentioned I first look for SE facing points. And try to consider travel leaving to escape pressure or to go to food when no pressure. A short burst up a hill to get to the next drainage for example. Or the area west of such SE point funneling scent effectively to make a bed more likely. Great topic.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
djw195

Unread postby djw195 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:40 am

dan wrote:Mature bucks really key in on wind advantages for bedding. The most common wind in the Midwest seems to be N .West. A point that points in the direction of S.E. woulD cover just about any wind. The only bad wind would be a S.E.

If there is a point across the valley that covers a S.E. wind, you got pretty much everything the buck needs.

To get into more detail, sharp drop offs at the end of the points are a plus cause they really lock in the position of the thermal tunnel.
Now, make the timber thick up top, and more open below the thermal tunnel and bucks love it. Long narrow points make great spots because with a wind down the point they can smell a predator coming from above, and with thermals rising all around the tip he can smell anything below..

Make human access difficult and you have another great plus.

Fantastic info Dan!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”