cyber scouting

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mbucks27

cyber scouting

Unread postby mbucks27 » Sat May 24, 2014 5:11 am

I have been doing some cyber scouting in a spot i will be hunting this year and i came across this swamp. For those of you swamp hunters out there do you think that those lines going through the swamp are deer trails? I'm thinking yes but im really not sure. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

John

wmahunter
500 Club

Re: cyber scouting

Unread postby wmahunter » Sat May 24, 2014 5:25 am

sometimes lines going through a swamp are from selective tree harvest cutting. If that's the case, the deer will use it for trails and browsing.
Trailcamaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Trailcamaddict » Sat May 24, 2014 5:41 am

The more black areas look like water. If the water is there all the time I would suspect the lines are from Muskrat. If the area is more dry than it appears in the picture then I would say for sure deer or maybe hogs if you have them in your area. Time to put some boots on!
Remember to take your kids!
YouTube - Engineered Outdoors
mbucks27

Unread postby mbucks27 » Sat May 24, 2014 5:47 am

Thanks guys. No hogs in the area. I'm hoping to get out there in the next few weeks and check it out. I'm guessing that water is there most of the time but not really sure how deep it is.

John
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Sat May 24, 2014 7:30 am

It appears to me the majority of those lines are from drainage and probably muskrats. If that area dries up in the fall, the deer will definitely use those as trails as well.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat May 24, 2014 8:51 am

If that is bog type ground that is typical in a swamp I would say those are likely deer trails. In that type of terrain deer trails have been used for decades and are very visible from aerials. These are especially easy to pick out in cattail marshes. Only way to verify is boots on the ground.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
mbucks27

Unread postby mbucks27 » Fri May 30, 2014 2:51 am

Thanks like i said i have hunted this area but never knew about this spot until i found it on the map the other day. I would think either way that it might be a good place for a big buck to hideout or use as a spot to get a drink. Cant wait to scout this piece but its going to be very thick now and the ticks in the area are insane. I dont care im going in anyway to have a look around lol.

John

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”