Deer sightings vs lack of good sign

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Deer sightings vs lack of good sign

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon May 19, 2014 8:24 am

So I've been to a new public spot 2x time. Both times I saw 5 or 6 deer in the same general area. Oddly, I don't see a lot of really good sign...none of the trails look heavily used. Do you all believe that visual sightings of deer would trump lack of really good sign? When hunting an unfamiliar area that is say 45 mins to an hour away, what level of sign do you need to see before it makes you think it's worth the effort to drive there...especially if your main goal is mature buck? Do you need to confirm with large rubs in the area before you would spend more time? It seems like it should be a good spot for mature buck....strategically, it sets up well...near agriculture, probably doesn't get a lot of bow pressure but may get a lot of gun pressure..

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
gjs4
500 Club

Re: Deer sightings vs lack of good sign

Unread postby gjs4 » Mon May 19, 2014 1:26 pm

The older I get, the more i care about what i physically see them doing (or cam pics i guess...sorta....) than what i assume or could assemble from pieces.
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Deer sightings vs lack of good sign

Unread postby dan » Mon May 19, 2014 8:52 pm

Do you all believe that visual sightings of deer would trump lack of really good sign?

If the deer your visually seeing are shooters, then yes. Sightings trump. If your just talking deer, no.

Gotta treat deer, and mature bucks like two different animals.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”