Corn field bucks

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

TallTines
500 Club

Corn field bucks

Unread postby TallTines » Fri May 02, 2014 7:13 am

How do you kill a buck that lives in the corn? Dose he ever come out or dose he stay in there untill the corn is cut. Do I walk the hole edge of the field and find out were he go's in and comes out?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

[glow=red]Hoyt Nitrum 30 70lb 29 draw
Easton Axis 340
Nap Killzone 2"
Lone Wolf Alpha Hang-on
Lone Wolf assault Hang-on
Lone Wolf hand climber[/glow]
albrechtt

Re: Corn field bucks

Unread postby albrechtt » Fri May 02, 2014 8:55 am

I had the same question. Check out this thread as the guys answer it very well.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=24834
TallTines
500 Club

Unread postby TallTines » Sun May 18, 2014 4:56 am

Should I walk the hole corn field and look for buck tracks going in and coming out
Easton Axis 340
Nap Killzone 2"
Lone Wolf Alpha Hang-on
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun May 18, 2014 5:14 am

TallTines wrote:Should I walk the hole corn field and look for buck tracks going in and coming out

My guess is there are deer tracks going in and out of the corn all over the place. Mature bucks bedding in corn are usually not bedding in the corn itself, but rather along a grassy ditch or brushy area within the corn. They can bed based on an elevation within a corn field too... The very few times I have seen big bucks bed in corn without some kind of structure it seemed to be because there was no good cover around anywhere else and there was heavy pressure.

The issue for corn bedding is that a buck picks his beds for 360 degrees of safety. He wants to see, smell, or hear anything coming from any direction. If he just flopped down between two rows he can't smell, see, or hear anything in a few directions. Not a situation most bucks will put themselves in.
jessejames

Unread postby jessejames » Sun May 18, 2014 5:27 am

I have shot a few bucks hunting waterways in the corn fields the deer use them like roads. On one property I hunt every year it's planted in corn I know I'm gonna do well.

backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sun May 18, 2014 8:43 am

jessejames wrote:I have shot a few bucks hunting [glow=red]waterways in the corn fields the deer use them like roads[/glow]. On one property I hunt every year it's planted in corn I know I'm gonna do well.

Interesting. I have a place I could hunt that sounds like this. I have wanted to hunt it a few times, but continue to find an excuse to pass it by.

The hold back I have had was the lack of good access to the waterway for this particular place. I would sound like a D9 Dozer coming through there and would probably attract more vampires than anything with the loss of blood id have from being torn to shreds by honey locust... :lol:
TallTines
500 Club

Unread postby TallTines » Sun May 18, 2014 10:16 am

dan wrote:
TallTines wrote:Should I walk the hole corn field and look for buck tracks going in and coming out

My guess is there are deer tracks going in and out of the corn all over the place. Mature bucks bedding in corn are usually not bedding in the corn itself, but rather along a [glow=red]grassy ditch or brushy area within the corn[/glow]. They can bed based on an elevation within a corn field too... The very few times I have seen big bucks bed in corn without some kind of structure it seemed to be because there was no good cover around anywhere else and there was heavy pressure.

The issue for corn bedding is that a buck picks his beds for 360 degrees of safety. He wants to see, smell, or hear anything coming from any direction. If he just flopped down between two rows he can't smell, see, or hear anything in a few directions. Not a situation most bucks will put themselves in.

There's a few good spots like that I will have to check out thanks
Easton Axis 340
Nap Killzone 2"
Lone Wolf Alpha Hang-on
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sun May 18, 2014 10:27 am

Standing corn can hold alot of deer of there is alot of pressure in the nearby woods. I've read that windy days is ideal to stalk for bedded deer in standing corn. That is something I like to try sometime. I also seen my old neighbors drive corn fields during gun season and push out some nice bucks in the past too.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”