DNR Officers Helpful?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

albrechtt

DNR Officers Helpful?

Unread postby albrechtt » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:15 am

Has anyone ever tried getting ahold of a DNR Officer in a new area you want to hunt? I'd like to take a trip to SW MN and hunt the hills and thought maybe try getting ahold of an officer to see what kind of pressure the public land gets/where they hunt/overlooked areas etc. They willing to do this if I offer to take them out for lunch or something?

PK_
500 Club

Re: DNR Officers Helpful?

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:52 am

Down here each piece of public will have a biologist and sometimes a manager. Both can be good sources of info. Know exactly what you want to ask beforehand. I have gotten good info on burn schedules, access, crops, preferred foods for time pf year, rut timong, road conditions, etc. Never bothered asking where to hunt.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
May-39

Unread postby May-39 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:47 pm

Yes, do it, the worst that can happen is you don't hear from someone. Someone I know was calling out of state and talked to a female receptionist, explained what he was doing (bowhunting), driving from 12 hours away, 45 minutes later, he had permission on her 80 acres. He shot a monster on her place, swear to god.

I have done this in a number of times. I've never heard back from one right away but when they did call with a minute they were helpful. They don't tell me what I want to hear but things I really want to know, for example yeah you can park there but I've had lots of vandalism there or neighboring property owner is rabid and will give you , I get calls all the time there etc...
Conversely, they have all admitted which areas seem to have big bucks harvested or sighted from year to year or where pressure is concentrated.

now is a good time unless it's turkey season..They are obviously busy during major seasons like turkey opener, trout/walleye opener, holiday boating traffic then small game into waterfowl into deer seasons.

As the kid stated, refuge managers/techs/biologists can be great.. I volunteer on a waterfowl refuge a couple times a year. It's great fun, I get a glimpse "behind the gates" and they always tell me about where they are seeing game I'm interested in.

Many of them hunt too, so consider that if you are asking about something specific...
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:17 pm

The officers mainly work with law enforcement... You want to get a hold of the areas DNR Biologist.
Knute78
500 Club

Unread postby Knute78 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:50 pm

albrechtt wrote:Has anyone ever tried getting ahold of a DNR Officer in a new area you want to hunt? I'd like to take a trip to SW MN and hunt the hills and thought maybe try getting ahold of an officer to see what kind of pressure the public land gets/where they hunt/overlooked areas etc. They willing to do this if I offer to take them out for lunch or something?

Just asking...do you mean SE MN? It is well know for the hill/bluffs. SW MN is pretty flat with lots of agriculture. I suppose it has its areas though. I have lots of family in SW MN and most of the hunting is done in old overgrown farm yards and along river bottom corridors. They shoot nice bucks on occasion.

Contact the local wildlife office and ask to speak to the habitat/game manager for the region. They are a wealth of knowledge. Keep in mind most of these individuals also hunt so remember scouting will still be key. They won't be giving up their public land honey holes. Trust me they have those spots basically to themselves, especially if they've been around awhile.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Genesis 27:3

"Now then, please take your gear, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me;"
albrechtt

Unread postby albrechtt » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:26 am

Yes I meant SE Mn. I live in SW MN and it's pretty tough bow hunting around here. I'm going to try getting ahold of both individuals today. Thanks for the advice.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
albrechtt

Unread postby albrechtt » Fri May 02, 2014 3:48 am

You guys were right. I talked to the game manager for an area and he was a wealth of knowledge. Basically told me where to try, new wma's that haven't gotten much pressure, mature deer in the area etc. I will be definitely using those sources from now on.
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Fri May 02, 2014 11:31 pm

dan wrote:The officers mainly work with law enforcement... You want to get a hold of the areas DNR Biologist.

X2

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”