Med School in the Fall! Need help!

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bblefty

Med School in the Fall! Need help!

Unread postby bblefty » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:23 am

So I got permission from a really a nice old man to hunt this property last November. I got to hunt it once during Thanksgiving and then maybe 10 times during the late late season.

copper/displayimage.php?pid=4183
The problem is that its a very difficult property to hunt, the property is simply the cutover seen in the Google Earth picture and the farm out in front of it. The property is bordered on all three sides by a hunt club with a stand on the property line and two other family farms who have stands on their property lines. I never saw a single deer during a hunt, but the density was obviously high due to old sign. The entire property is a giant sanctuary.

1. My primary issue is access, I tried to cut three paths after season let out so I could at least make it into the cutover.
2. There are zero trees to hang a stand, but the whole thing are 3-4 inch pines with the rest being made of oak scrub/insane briars.

I am starting Med school in the fall and will have 2 hour drive back home to hunt. I also could really use the venison to lower food bills, but I will only have time to hunt maybe 5/6 times this year and then maybe this property only 2/3 times if it is the best bet.

My plan so far is to:
A. Use my two trail cameras more than the average beast member, just due to really needing the intel for when I'm not there, will keep my scent as low as possible and keep the cams on the edges.
B. With no place to hang a Lone Wolf, I'll try to build some type of box blind/platform for a ground blind so I can see over the scrub and hunt like the other South Carolinians with lanes in thick cover and cover it with a rifle. I was thinking of putting it on the elevation in the back and making a single access trail through the center.
C. I'm going to do some glassing from the field in the summer to see what walks out into the field. This would also be a good SC opening day tactic (August 15th) but I will likely be busy studying.

I scouted the property extensively, but found very few patterns except that they like the property edges and bed 40-50 yards in all around the border.

Does anyone have any input or suggestions for me to make the most of my time during the summer? Is there anything on this map that stands out? Also the trails visible in this picture do not really exist anymore, aside from the main one coming in from the field.

Bucky

Re: Med School in the Fall! Need help!

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:44 pm

Get me premission... I will keep u fed w/ venison :lol:

Seriously though... u will have some time to hunt ur first year. Where u going to Med School? I might be able to help u with hunting ground close by if Madison.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
bblefty

Re: Med School in the Fall! Need help!

Unread postby bblefty » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:39 pm

Yeah, I am actually in South Carolina, but would definitely love to hunt if your ever down this way. I'm trying to put together a box blind so I might be able study while I hunt, although this is not my preferred way to hunt.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”