Scouting and learning the land vs pressuring bucks

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Scouting and learning the land vs pressuring bucks

Unread postby mheichelbech » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:35 pm

One of the things that I read a lot about on here is the importance of boots on the ground learning every nook and cranny of the properties we hunt. I don't know about anyone else but this takes multiple trips through even the smallest areas for me. To learn the nuances of how deer move through, finding beds, sign, figuring out the wind, finding the best trees, etc. for me, doesn't even get done in one season. I also read about not pressuring bucks, how they can be sensitive to pressure, hunting or non-hunting.

How do you guys balance this out, learning your area without putting on so much pressure that it moves the deer? If you just do all or most of the scouting in January through April or so, can you feel safe in not running off the deer, especially the mature bucks?

Is there a balance to strike?

I would add that I mostly hunt all smaller properties, 100 acres or less for the most part...will be checking out public soon but that has been my primary hunting grounds.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
whitetailassasin

Re: Scouting and learning the land vs pressuring bucks

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:45 pm

Scout your areas after season. Use the early spring and summer to go in and locate. Shine mid summer. Once you've located beds, stay out until conditions are right. Plan your entrance/exits, if trimming is needed so early. Do not over hunt!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:25 pm

I've been going to battle with this very issue every since season ended. Figuring out the deer in my area is top priority and that requires lots of scouting. I know it has put a lot of pressure on the deer and as a result the buck beds that i am looking for have likely changed as a result. I have stayed out of a couple areas where i believe bucks are going to avoid me. Now that i got a pretty intel on the surrounding areas i'm starting to lay off those spots and waiting a couple more weeks before i go in to scout the areas i've been avoiding.
That said, there are spots i know it would be good to stop going but i had to decide whether it was worth it to know it better or not. Some spots i can deal with, but others its not going to do me any good anyway if i don't have the buck beds pinned.
Plan to stay out of all of it in another two months.
Certainly don't have the answers but i can relate. ;)
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:54 pm

Don't get rushed. When you find a bedding area spend as much time as necessary to gather all intel on the first trip. I am guilty of it even this spring, I went into a bedding area 3 different times within a few weeks, it was amazing to watch the track count fall off with each visit. But it took me all 3 visits to nail down exactly what was going on in that area. I have trouble because I generally only have a few hours after work to scout and I have a 1 hour drive minimum with any hunting area, plus at least a 1/2 hour hike to get to areas of interest, which means when I am finding an area I am racing the setting sun most times, it's really tough with limited time, really tough.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:59 pm

I'm with ya on the time issue! Divorced with 2 kiddos half the time can make it difficult. In some spots I take the kids hiking/scouting with me where I can if it isn't going to be too thick. I do typically have every other weekend but that is time often spent working on the house or other havetos.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:43 pm

I think it is often misunderstood that it takes time maybe years to have an area down pat. It does not happen over night. You look at the bucks Dan has on the wall. It took years and years to accomplish that. So you are not going to go out and kill a wall full of bucks in a year or two. Keep this in mind to help you understand what it takes; "time".
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:03 pm

The first time I hit new land I have a few areas highlighted that I want to check out and I walk as many transition areas to and from those locations as I can. If possible making a big loop to cover as much of the area as I can. The big thing I look for is mature buck sign and sign from other hunters. What I find most often is the pressure is too intense and the areas have little to know mature buck sign. I have found some great areas with these quick scouts and picked good beds from aerial photos but a lot of time you need just a general assessment to see if the place is worth hunting. It doesn't make much sense to spend too much time in an area if its getting pounded and doesn't consistently hold mature deer.

After one scout if an area peaks my interest or I find the goods I come back and give it thorough scout. I cover all transitions and look at as many potential bedding areas as possible and even those overlooked areas. I always try to pick out trees and put a plan together but sometimes there just isn't enough time in the day so a lot of the planning happens later on at the computer when I can see everything and it makes more sense.

My third trip back to same area is usually to work on the details, fine tune my setups, maybe do a little trimming. I also feel its important to scout a bedding area more than one year. Sometimes they go cold or sometimes you think you have a great spot but then nothing shows up the next season. Other times I never got to hunt an area but scouted it again and was blown away by the sign, re-scouting bedding areas really gives me a better feel of the quality of the bed, especially when you find good buck sign year after year.

I only hunt large acre public so this scouting style suites me, you will have to see what works for you. On public there isn't a lot of middle ground, either the bucks are there and you found their core areas or they are not and the pressure keeps them out or dead at a young age.
mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:31 am

Stanley wrote:I think it is often misunderstood that it takes time maybe years to have an area down pat. It does not happen over night. You look at the bucks Dan has on the wall. It took years and years to accomplish that. So you are not going to go out and kill a wall full of bucks in a year or two. Keep this in mind to help you understand what it takes; "time".

I totally agree that it can take several seasons to thoroughly learn a property and how the deer utilize that property. Particularly one with varied terrain. I know one of the things I need to do a better job of is slowing down and thoroughly analyzing the deer sign....thinking through, what are deer or what is this buck doing walking this trail, why, is he using it day or night...as opposed to observing it, noting it, and walking on looking for more sign.

When you are approaching a new or fairly new property, do you try to limit the number of visits, or do you have a set process? Not all properties are amenable to the 1/3 down the slope approach...I ask this because I have seen it said and I think it makes sense that what can impact the deer is not what a guy does while he is scouting (within reason of course) but the number of times he goes...obviously if he went in 7 days in a row that would likely move the deer I am guessing...but if he went in every other weekend for 2 months is that enough of a break in between as to not impact the deer?
SaddleMaster

Unread postby SaddleMaster » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:48 am

You may impact the deer some for the 2 months that you're in there, but if you do it well before season (now) they'll return to normal before season starts. You're not going to push them off permanently; they'll move back in once you stop going in there and your scent fades. Also, the more you do this the more your interpretation skills will improve. You'll get quicker at analyzing the situation and coming up with a plan. So I wouldn't worry about it too much. Hit it hard the next couple of months until you come up with a plan. But then stay out until the season opens and the conditions are right to move in for the kill.
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:57 am

No expert here for sure, but for me I have been scouting as much as I can and prepping my trees based on the results since the end of february. I found enough areas of promise to last me next season with the time constraints I have. I will hunt according to my plan as much as I can and will likely learn a ton while on stand.

Two of my go to spots I was set up incorrectly for honesly years....through observation from stands I had utilized I moved last year and killed deer on first sits of both of those spots. Now I more or less keep a log of those "go to areas" don't really scout them and concentrate on adding new go to areas so I can keep building. Sometimes my hunting inadvertantly becomes an observation stand....and I lean on that for the next year.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:14 am

Every time you go into a bucks safe zone you do damage... However, Coyotes, wolves, stray dogs, hikers, shed hunters, trespassers, bears, cats, etc, occasionally walk thru there too... The less the better, but every spot gets occasionally infringed upon.

I generally like to get to know the land in spring/winter when there is cool off time before season. I like to get my intel out of a certain bedding area in one or two visits. Usually one. If you need more, I would be inclined to say your better off going in several days in a row than spreading it out... If you wait two weeks to go back you will be getting there just after your scent was finally gone.

Every property is different, but most I can find the buck bedding rather quickly and have a good idea how to kill. But, as mentioned, over time you notice things that were subtle and not noticed when you 1st scouted a property. So, time on the ground is certainly a good factor, but after the 1st day on the property you should already have a pretty good grasp of whats going on...
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:31 am

Taking maps with you in the field is a must for me. Mark the beds and trails on the map, it will really help you see the whole picture faster. Be prepared to get your setups ready when your scouting to cut down on trips/intrusions. I prepped 3 trees this weekend while shed hunting/scout that I've wanted to hunt for 3 or 4 years and was a bonehead and never got them set up.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:34 am

Don't forget to associate your observations while hunting, and make adjustments based on what you thought deer would do, to what they are actually doing. It can take a couple of years to figure out small properties. Plus, I find crop rotations affect small parcels in farmland. I have a spot, that if the sorrounding field is corn, the bed will be used till the corn comes off.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”