Scouted this weekend. Confused

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bowhunter74201

Scouted this weekend. Confused

Unread postby Bowhunter74201 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:52 am

i finally got to get out this weekend to walk a piece i've been wanting to check out. the snow is finally gone pretty much and my health issues have subsided enough to where i felt good enough to get out there.

my findings were many.. lots of sign. trails, rubs, droppings, tracks. the rubs are what i'm confused about. 99% of the rubs i found were really high up, which makes me think it was a moose. rubs everywhere so obviously whatever made them spent quite a bit of time in this area. the thing is, i never found one single pile of moose droppings. i did find some large droppings, but the size and shape make me think they're deer droppings. they were big, around an inch long, and not round. typically, the moose scat i find is much larger and more round shaped vs. deer scat which is smaller and elongated. i also found some smaller scat piles that were obviously young deer. but the tall rubs and lack of obvious moose scat is what's throwing me off. all of the rubs were on smaller sized trees ranging from 1-5" in diameter. some were rubbed clean from shin to shoulder on me. others were waist high, and some were chest high.

here's an example of the scat. 2 different piles to show the difference in size.

here's some examples of some of the rubs. some high up, some low (that center horizontal branch is all rubbed up)

shoulder height.

found a decent track.. that leaf is about 4" long.

i couldn't find any obvious bedding sites, just one "possible" bed with some hair in it. no rubs in it's immediate vacinity but near trails that went along the side of this ridge. given the amount of scat in this area alone, the deer obviously use this area pretty often. i'm thinking it's a travel corridor but i could be wrong. your thoughts on all this? thanks!

christian1
500 Club

Re: Scouted this weekend. Confused

Unread postby christian1 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:50 am

I am looking on my phone so pics aren't real clear, but I did find a bunch of smaller trees that looked like they were rubs but upon closer investigation I found it was rabbits or other critters chewing the bark

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Bowhunter74201

Unread postby Bowhunter74201 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:00 am

i thought about that possibility too. how high up were the ones you found?
christian1
500 Club

Unread postby christian1 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:18 am

As high as the snow would take them:)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Schubox1265

Unread postby Schubox1265 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:21 am

I think you have to consider how much snow was present when the rub was made.

Also, I know that bucks sometimes will straddle a small sapling, bending it horizontal with their chest and rub it, making the rub higher that normal.
Bowhunter74201

Unread postby Bowhunter74201 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:33 am

good points. we didn't have any snow in oct./nov. which would be when most of the rubbing occurs around here.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:50 am

I wouldn't let those rubs make your head spin, ive been there. I would focus on the fact that you know at least one good buck is in the area. I would focus on finding the best bedding the property has to offer, which is likely located on or near some type of point that is created by terrain or heavy cover, pointing out into a different type of cover, the thicker and wetter the better.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Bowhunter74201

Unread postby Bowhunter74201 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:55 am

thanks mike. it's hard not to focus on those rubs simply because they don't make sense. my inquiring mind wants to know!

i couldn't find much for bedding sites. i had one area on the topo map that i wanted to check, a point with a ditch next to it, but i don't think i found it. i had some difficulty matching up where i was with where on the map i wanted to go.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:13 am

Don't thank me, thank Dan Infalt & others on this site. I don't have the anywhere near the credentials they have.

I hear you on that, I get caught up staring at sign all the time and I started to realize that some sign doesn't tell you much more than the fact that deer live in the area. Dan has proven that Beds can be the most useful deer sign there is so I would recommend focusing on that, and using the other sign to tell you how the bedding is being used.

As far as those rubs go, I have no idea, I would be cunfused as heck if I saw that :lol:
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:48 am

Bowhunter74201 wrote:...some were rubbed clean from shin to shoulder on me. others were waist high, and some were chest high...

That screams shooter buck to me. I have seen rubs like that here and I'm not in moose or elk country. When I see rubs like that and I see a big buck around there it's a real PIG! I would be excited about that area. I would buckle down and figure him out asap.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Bowhunter74201

Unread postby Bowhunter74201 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:33 am

that's what i'm hoping for ds.

this is a map of the area.. the red dots are where most of the rubs were, but there were rubs all over. there did seem to be a rub "line" mixed in with all of them. like the contour was being followed. rubs were everywhere in this area though so it was confusing. the blue area is where i think i might find some beds. the green is where i suspect i might find some trails crossing that ditch. i wanted to get to the blue/bedding area but i didn't. i ran out of time and i honestly wasn't sure exactly where i was in relation to that spot.

Schubox1265

Unread postby Schubox1265 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:37 am

Bowhunter74201 wrote:we didn't have any snow in oct./nov. which would be when most of the rubbing occurs around here.

I've always read that bucks can and will rub anytime between velvet shed and antler shed. I have seen fresh rubs with bark material on top of fresh snowfall in December in WI.

What was the max snow depth for this area this year?
Bowhunter74201

Unread postby Bowhunter74201 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:00 am

at the peak, there was probably over 2 feet in the timber.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:04 am

It's hard to tell from pics but I think some of them are moose rubs.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:29 am

hunter_mike wrote:I wouldn't let those rubs make your head spin, ive been there. I would focus on the fact that you know at least one good buck is in the area. I would focus on finding the best bedding the property has to offer,

[ Post made via Android ] Image

solid advise
HUNT LIKE A BEAST

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”