stupid poison ivy

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

brkissl82
500 Club

stupid poison ivy

Unread postby brkissl82 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:46 pm

Every spring I go out scouting and turkey hunting and end up getting some type of poison ivy/oak or whatever. I hate it its miserable and nothing gets rid of it until the dr gives me predazone. Looks like back to the dr for me tomorrow. Wish they could give me a year supply of the stuff

[ Post made via Android ] Image

oneflag

Re: stupid poison ivy

Unread postby oneflag » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:33 pm

I get poison ivy every year and even in the winter handling fire wood. A good friend of mine ate a poison ivy leaf years ago and claims he is now immune to it.
PLEASE DON’T DO THAT!
Look it up on the web; it’s kind of interesting. Some hikers/campers have eaten it and there are a few YouTube videos of them doing so.
Myself; I just try an avoid it!
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:39 pm

Try this, you can buy it about anywhere.

http://www.mfasco.com/Medicines/Anti-It ... n-6Oz.html
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:41 am

Thanks ghost but ive tried every over the counter medicine and none of it works only the prescription stuff

brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:51 am

Wanna know the worst part, I must have taken a leak by some poison ivy because I have it everywhere! I mean everywhere!

wiscbowhntr
500 Club

Unread postby wiscbowhntr » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:56 am

I have gotten poison everything. I once had it so bad on my leg my leg turned black, no joke. Believe it or not there are some products out there that will help reduce rash and help it go away faster. I always used to go to the doc and get prednisone, but I don’t anymore. Get a soap called TechNu that you use when you think you got into a poisonous plant. TechNu helps draw the urisol (oil that we react to) out of your skin and reduce the rash. Then there is also topical cream that you can put on that will make 3 long weeks into 3 long days. I forget the name and it is about $40.00 a tube. You can get TechNu and the cream at Walgreens. That’s where I get mine.
Last edited by wiscbowhntr on Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:07 am

That stuff is nasty, I've had poison sumac many times and it is horrible.

Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:11 am

You might try it you can get it at Walmart or probably any drug store. It dries it up for me in about five or six days.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:23 am

I get it bad. But now I shower in Tecnu now after exposure and it seems to prevent it.
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:25 am

Someone told me to put bleach on a cotton swab and rub it on the infected area only but im afraid to try it. Ive used the tecnu stuff and it did nothing for me.

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:38 am

Prednisone is the best....if you have any good friends that are doctors, have the write you a script so you can keep it on hand. Beware, my son had a psychotic reaction when coming down off it one time. He had been taking for a week, we didn't apparently properly wean him off it....it's not something you just stop using.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
oneflag

Unread postby oneflag » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:15 am

brkissl82 wrote:Wanna know the worst part, I must have taken a leak by some poison ivy because I have it everywhere! I mean everywhere!

I think the oil from the poison ivy is what causes the breakout when we get it on our skin. Be aware on rainy days if you stand under the vine the rain water will cover you with the oil and carry the oil everywhere. Plus if it’s on your hands every place you touch gets itchy.
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:25 am

brkissl82 wrote:Someone told me to put bleach on a cotton swab and rub it on the infected area only but im afraid to try it. Ive used the tecnu stuff and it did nothing for me.

I wouldn't. Ive used gas from the saws on jobs before when I was really young and stupid. It worked but must cause cancer or something. Tecnu has several different products I would try them all. Every arborist supply place here sells it.
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
darenative

Unread postby darenative » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:28 am

brkissl82 wrote:Someone told me to put bleach on a cotton swab and rub it on the infected area only but im afraid to try it. Ive used the tecnu stuff and it did nothing for me.

I use to get poison ivy so bad I looked like a walking meatloaf, covered in the stuff from head to toe. Prednisone worked the best, but not always available at a moments notice. Bleach, at least for me, would shave days off the itch time and would dry the seeping PI rash. YMMV

Thankfully my reaction to PI has subsided over the years and now all I get is a couple of bumps at the contact area, instead of a full body outbreak.
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:44 am

Milk Weed Seed wrote:I get it bad. But now I shower in Tecnu now after exposure and it seems to prevent it.

yep same here... scrub down with Tecnu after getting home and i dont get it... Prevention is the key
Make It Happen

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”