stupid poison ivy

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

kurt

Re: stupid poison ivy

Unread postby kurt » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:34 pm

last year my brother held up a stalk and said is this poison sumac? I said yes :lol: I ended up getting alittle on my arms from him cutting it. But had him shower right away and he got some rash just not that bad.

hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:37 am

i got it all over me this weekend. I will have to try this technu stuff.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:43 am

Tecnu didnt work for me at all

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:07 pm

I've used Acetone lightly and does dry it up...
I can't say it's safe or recommend it.
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:17 am

I think the Technu works on some but not all people or maybe some but not all types of poison ivy, oak, etc. One thing I know is you can get it anytime of year...just a word of warning, I had cut some PI vines crawling up a tree I wanted to hunt, the vines where dead but I still got PI from it. I have read the oils can stick around for years even on a dead vine. This stuff is worse than Obama, at least he will be gone after 8 years!
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:40 am

I have heard over the years you can eat a piece of the stem and you'll get immuned to it. I've also been told to pee on it and it will go away. I haven't tried either. I figured they were jerkin my chain just to see if I'd do it.

I own a paint shop and have found that thinner will dry it up in a heart beat. I didn't do that intentionally, just an occupational hazard. So, the bleach thing may work.

There is a series of 3 shots you can get (2 weeks apart) that will prevent catching it. My wife gets them every year. It seems she can look at poison ivy and catch it. But after taking the shots, she doesn't get it anymore. She starts the shots in late January / early February. She's done that the last few years.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:05 am

How much are the shots?
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:06 am

How much are the shots?
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Sat May 03, 2014 2:32 pm

Not sure if I should say this or not but Prednesone is over the counter in Mexico so if you take a vacation or cruise that stops there, any pharmacia will carry it. I get a bottle every year when I am there just in case. I think last year it was $8 of a bottle that had enough for two outbreaks. Luckily I haven't had it in a couple years. When I did get it a few years back it was bad. My buddy and I did basically hug a tree hanging a stand that had it all over it. Now I'm overly cautious. Prepping stand sites last weekend I was cutting vines of it everywhere. Better safe than sorry!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”