Well used beds on points for unusual winds

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cdeam

Well used beds on points for unusual winds

Unread postby cdeam » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:36 pm

Found a great bed worn down to dirt with hair in it and lots of buck turds, tons of browse sign, etc. this bed is on a point for NE wind. This is not a common wind in my area. In fact the last few seasons SW winds have been the most common with NW winds occurring maybe 25% of the time. If you walk directly down this point you are walking SW and the bed is right where it should be for a NE wind. Question is could it be used during a NW wind? I would ask about use in a SW wind but that goes against the leeward side theory completely.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Well used beds on points for unusual winds

Unread postby dan » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:36 am

tHE WIND DOES NOT HAVE TO BE EXACT, but it does need to be blowing somewhat from top to bottom... I have seen bucks bed on complete wrong winds, but not as often, and usually not mature bucks... I would leave the bed alone till the wind is correct whether or not something is using it on the wrong winds unless I observed a target buck there on the wrong wind. I would assume its lesser bucks.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:28 am

Also keep in mind places where the wind can swirl around and sometimes make multiple winds work for that bed. Got a few spots that the wild will drive you crazy.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:38 am

headgear wrote:Also keep in mind places where the wind can swirl around and sometimes make multiple winds work for that bed. Got a few spots that the wild will drive you crazy.

X2 - I was going to write the same thing earlier but figured I'd wait to time two someone ;)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”