Beds without rubs

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Twenty Up
500 Club

Re: Beds without rubs

Unread postby Twenty Up » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:27 am

To add onto this...

I've found several buck beds where the rubs inside the bed and the rub line leading to-away from the bed looked to be two different bucks.. This could be the animals personality or a sign that the bed is used by several different bucks.

Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:40 pm

More than once I've found buck beds with old rubs at least a year or two old in the bed but no larger fresh rubs in the vicinity. But the bed is still actively used. My guess is the buck is still there but not still laying the sign. Anyone see this

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Make It Happen
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:18 pm

Twenty Up wrote:To add onto this...

I've found several buck beds where the rubs inside the bed and the rub line leading to-away from the bed looked to be two different bucks.. This could be the animals personality or a sign that the bed is used by several different bucks.

Two different sized rubs*
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:43 am

Last year I found two beds that are in a swamp I hunt, one is on a transition line of cattails and high native grass. The bed is on a light elevation to keep deer dry, but it's not under a tree, next to the thicket patches or tag alders. It's relatively out in the open. The other bed I found a couple years back is only 60 yds from that one, is on another high point, but has a tree about 8 yds from the bed and has cattail patch right next to the bed. But this bed is relatively open as well. Last year I witnessed two bucks using them same day same time laying in those beds Oct 25th. Same area but about 150 yds away, another buck was bedded under a tree. All three bucks we over 110" I believe one to be a 2.5 yr old, the one I shot a 3.5yr old(120")and the other one was between 4.5-5.5 yr old(booner). He is the one I'm after this season. But what I'm wondering is has anyone ever experienced this? Is it common to have such open beds? I don't think the pre rut was really up and going because these bucks were bedded alone, no does really around. Behind them about 200yds is a water source that kinda protects them from danger coming from behind them. Water around them lets them hear approaching danger and maybe they can use their sight better in the open. Just kinda wondering thoughts from some of our more experienced hunters with this.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:57 pm

Bump.

Lots of new members who might find this thread helpful
Ol'DanBoone

Unread postby Ol'DanBoone » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:10 pm

Heck yeah, ive just got caught up in the bed hunting thing, obsessively bad. I hate to say it, when i scouted a new area monday and tuesday, buds were about all i really wanted to find. It was borderlune infatuation. Ive had about a gazillion questions run through my mind sense monday. This is a awesome thread.

john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:31 pm

For me personally, I really depend on rubs.

How can you tell the difference between a mature doe bed and a 3+ buck bed????

I just killed my biggest PUBLIC land buck ever in what I believe is a Perennial buck bedroom. He rubbed all over the place. This is Big Marsh/Big Woods.

The terrain I hunt has points, fingers, bowls, transitions, swamp/ marsh all over the place.

I'm not after 4+ year old deer. A 3 year old buck around here is as mature as they get.

I really depend on rubs for my scouting.

The deer tracks/trails have no definition in the watery moss over here, it could be a wolf, bear cub, big doe, ,,, any thing.

I depend on rubs....

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”