Points that don't really show on a topo?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cdeam

Points that don't really show on a topo?

Unread postby cdeam » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:43 pm

I'm finding beds on points that are just very slightly indicated on topo maps. Instead of the points in the video the beds I'm finding are on less defined points. Standing there it's definitely a point but is barely discernible on the map. Aerial photos show these points much better. When I scout the obvious points, I'm not finding beds. Any one know why this might be? Am I just missing the beds on the more defined points?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

SaddleMaster

Re: Points that don't really show on a topo?

Unread postby SaddleMaster » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:34 pm

Is it possible that the more obvious points are not oriented to where the deer can take advantage of the predominant wind? So, for example, if you have a point that goes from south to north and you seldom get a southern wind, they may not bed on that point very often. And so maybe the smaller points work with the wind more often?
JohnnieU

Unread postby JohnnieU » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:42 pm

I have the same situation on a property I hunt. My problem is the clearly defined points get a lot of human traffic, not hunters setting up on them, they just happen to be near the main access trail so a mature buck wouldn't feel comfortable bedding on them. Are other hunters pressuring the points in some way on the property you hunt?

I haven't figured out how to hunt the small points yet, they're on steep hillsides at the right elevation and hard to approach. I'm going to try a few new ideas I've picked up on here during this off season and hopefully figure it out this year :think:
cdeam

Unread postby cdeam » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:12 am

I'm hunting big woods. So I've got points out the wazoo to scout. No shortage of points for any wind direction. My method has been to scout for the wind direction that day so I can check the thermal tunnel and verify my approach won't get me winded. It's definitely high pressure. So maybe that's it. Maybe the larger points are just getting more pressure. Makes sense to me

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:20 am

There is a good story in Brad Herndon's book, Mapping Trophy Buck about hunting points in pressured situations. I believe he talked about guys traversing up and down points to get either to the bottoms where all the sign was (occuring with nightime deer movement) or to the top. He figured out the buck was basically point hopping as hunters came up and down...he, or maybe his wife, I don't recall, setup on a point anticipating the buck to be pressured over to them when hunters came into or out of the woods. They killed a nice one with this method.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
cdeam

Unread postby cdeam » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:24 pm

I remember reading that in Herndons book. I'm new at this type of scouting. I expected to find more beds on points I was picking out on topo maps, instead I'm finding beds on more inconspicuous and almost indiscernible points. Interestingly, the most recent bed I found showed heavy signs of use and was worn to bare ground. But the point was set up for a NE wind which is rare here.

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:11 pm

By far most of the points with good buck bedding areas I have found are barely detectable or not visible on a normal scale topo. Bucks seem to like small, specific spots - and I agree part of it might be bigger points are good travel routes up and down a ridge, by humans and other predators.
cdeam

Unread postby cdeam » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:13 pm

Good to hear JoeRE. I know what I found was the real deal. It's good to hear someone else experiencing the same thing. Now it's just a matter of figuring out how in the heck to set up on those beds. Seems like the deer has everything in his favor. Wind, visibility, terrain, etc. most of the beds I'm finding have doe beds 50 yards or so up higher on the point.

Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:19 am

I'm assuming by topo you mean the USGS maps. They are generally 10' contour intervals in the Midwest at least. Check your County's web-site. Most of Wisconsin and a good chunk of Illinois (the two states I hunt) have five, two or even one foot contour information available which should make the smaller points much more visible on maps. I'm lucky to work with GIS software for work, so I can build my own maps, but many County's have good on-line GIS mapping sites that have aerials, water lines, property boundary's, contour information, etc.
cdeam

Unread postby cdeam » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:59 pm

Yes I'm using usgs maps. But I guess it don't matter much. I'm walking all this ground anyway. And I'm getting better at seeing these smaller points. I'll look at the county GIS. Might be helpful for going in blind.

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:17 pm

cdeam wrote:Good to hear JoeRE. I know what I found was the real deal. It's good to hear someone else experiencing the same thing. Now it's just a matter of figuring out how in the heck to set up on those beds. Seems like the deer has everything in his favor. [glow=red]Wind, visibility, terrain, etc. most of the beds I'm finding have doe beds 50 yards or so up higher on the point.[/glow]

Sounds familiar! I am not good enough to sneak in super close to beds like that, particularly with the does nearby. Maybe some people are, but not me. Lots of those tough bedding spots I just end up staying back a couple hundred yards.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”