Mock scrape ?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

Mock scrape ?

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:14 am

Does anybody try this ? In the past I have made a mock scrape, and it works really well... I have got some great footage on my wildlife eye at the scrape... I am wondering how early is too early to make one though ? Seems like I've made them in the past around the middle of October, but do you guys think a guy could make one at the beginning of October ?

dreaming bucks

Re: Mock scrape ?

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:18 am

One other question....
Have you guys ever pee'ed in a scrape ? Do you think it scares them away, or can't the deer tell if it's human or not ?
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:11 am

Personally I gave up on these...... I found them great to get pictures of bucks at night, so if you want pictures I say go for it. As for helping you out on a mature buck I would shy away from this. Unless your hunting a large piece of private property where deer get very little or no pressure I'm almost certain you will scare away more than you will attract.
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:13 am

DropTyne wrote:Personally I gave up on these...... I found them great to get pictures of bucks at night, so if you want pictures I say go for it. As for helping you out on a mature buck I would shy away from this. Unless your hunting a large piece of private property where deer get very little or no pressure I'm almost certain you will scare away more than you will attract.

X2
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:44 am

DropTyne wrote:Personally I gave up on these...... I found them great to get pictures of bucks at night, so if you want pictures I say go for it. As for helping you out on a mature buck I would shy away from this. Unless your hunting a large piece of private property where deer get very little or no pressure I'm almost certain you will scare away more than you will attract.

Are you guys saying you scare the mature bucks away because of putting your scent in the area when checking your camera's, or just the idea of putting a fake scrape there, that they will know something is up ?

I do agree about the night thing though...... In the past I have gotten 95% of my pictures at night.. Although, about the second week of November I got some nice mature bucks hitting it during daylight hours.. It wasn't everyday, but about every 3 days or so he would show up...
Mike

Unread postby Mike » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:59 pm

I get lots of good pics on my mock scrapes, most of my summer inventory was at mock scrapes and trophy rock sites. Getting a pic of a big buck at night is good info, definitely something I want if I'm are hunting a specific buck.

I make mine in the spring and summer and deer take them over. Put one on your food source, near where the travel corridor from your buck bed meets the food source, it will let you know if that buck is using that bedding area, if he shows up at or just after dark. That way your cam is away from the bedding area, in the food source but you are still attracting those deer to your spot.

Just from paying attention to hunting videos etc, the first thing those big bucks seem to do when they enter a field is scent mark, if you have a good scrape going there, it will get hit.

October is too late IMO, spring and summer is the time to do it. No scent needed either.

Another good reason to use them is in rut funnel situations, a lot of times having a big scrape going will draw a big buck over to check it out as he is cruising. This should be made long before season, not freshly scented up with human scent.

Judging from my cameras this summer, after about 3-4 days my scent is old enough that the deer will come hit my scrapes. They are a lot more relaxed in summer and once they are in hard horn it would probably change, another reason to get them going early.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:07 am

I agree with mike, I like to make them early in the year (July August). Just rip the earth open, okay to take a in it if you feel the urge. Make sure there is a licking branch and perferably on a flat piece of ground. I don't hunt over them often, but I will throw a camera on them to see what bucks are using them.

I watched a mature buck 4+ (I think) work a scrape line right after a down pour last October 3rd... that is the one time I might try and key in on a scrape line to hunt = after a hard rain especially in transition from bed to feed
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:25 am

I made a mock scrape during the rut a few years ago and hung the tarsal gland from a earlier buck kill from the O/H branch. A nice two yr. old ten pointer cam right in and freshened it up.
I also had good luck on a big open hardwood public tract when there is snow on the ground. Just throw the black dirt all over. I didn't even use scent. It is only a sight attractant. You could see them come from a ways out.
Good times.
I never tried the early season stuff but have read that it's the Cat's A$$.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”