"your" spots on public land

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hunter_mike

"your" spots on public land

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:38 am

Do you ever wonder if one of "your" spots on public land is also one of someone elses spots? With the growing in popularity of this website and Dan's videos, I know that I am probably not the only guy on the many public properties in my home area that is out looking for big buck bedding areas.

Theres got to be some interesting stories regarding this topic. I know when I went back and scouted a bedding area I had a nice buck encounter in during December there was someones tracks in there, and then I went to another spot to scout a couple miles down the road and I found the same guys tracks.

Finding sign like that leads me to believe that I need to find a better spot to hunt, but then again I did have a big buck encounter there already, so maybe I just need to beat them to it next fall.

I imagine this must happen even more in SE WI

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Dewey

Re: "your" spots on public land

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:50 am

I have been in some pretty remote marsh spots, set up and when I get situated on stand find a bow hanger screwed in the tree. Pretty sure there are few spots that have never been hunted by someone over the years.

One thing I do know for sure is there are some Beast members scouting around some of my haunts. Been snow scouting for years and never found human tracks in bedding areas but the last few years they are everywhere! :think:

That's why it's important to not limit yourself to 5-6 beds for the coming season. I have literally 100's of spots to choose from that I have accumulated over the years. You need plenty of back ups for any situation. This is where logging them all in your GPS is a huge help.
[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:05 am

Yes. Every place I hunt is shared, even the land I own. You need to have a semi load of irons in the fire and pick the best ones.

It gets harder every year.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:07 am

Been in the same spot as Dewey, go remote where I wouldn't think I would see anyone and find some sign someone has been there before. The only think I probably have going for me is a lot of people aren't willing to do that every hunt and miss out. My average or standard hunts might be an epic journey that others only do once in a while.

Someday I do kind of fear someone finding all my spots with their own hard work but I have enough of them logged now that it wouldn't be a huge deal.
TallTines
500 Club

Unread postby TallTines » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:22 am

I hope not :shock:
[glow=red]Hoyt Nitrum 30 70lb 29 draw
Easton Axis 340
Nap Killzone 2"
Lone Wolf Alpha Hang-on
Lone Wolf assault Hang-on
Lone Wolf hand climber[/glow]
TallTines
500 Club

Unread postby TallTines » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:23 am

:lol:
[glow=red]Hoyt Nitrum 30 70lb 29 draw
Easton Axis 340
Nap Killzone 2"
Lone Wolf Alpha Hang-on
Lone Wolf assault Hang-on
Lone Wolf hand climber[/glow]
christian1
500 Club

Unread postby christian1 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:48 am

I was just thinking about this today for two reasons 1) I do have anxiety already about not having enough spots for the season. Seems like a vast majority of the spots I thought would produce something are turning up blanks. Whether they really are blanks or I am just not good has yet to be determined. 2) I have a fear of stepping on others toes. I realize that may be impossible in this part of the state, but the last thing I want is an argument or hard feelings. Seen it happen before and it is not a part of the sport that I enjoy.

chris
wiscbowhntr
500 Club

Unread postby wiscbowhntr » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:17 am

I see some boot tracks in the spring in spots, but I dont see them come hunting season. A lot of the far back spots are easy to access right now with the ground frozen. Come fall when there is a stand on your back and bow in hand it isnt as easy to get to a lot of these spots. I think a lot of guys think they'll go back far after scouting, but when it comes to to hunt them I think they realize just how much work it is and wimp out.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:32 am

wiscbowhntr wrote:I see some boot tracks in the spring in spots, but I dont see them come hunting season. A lot of the far back spots are easy to access right now with the ground frozen. Come fall when there is a stand on your back and bow in hand it isnt as easy to get to a lot of these spots. I think a lot of guys think they'll go back far after scouting, but when it comes to to hunt them I think they realize just how much work it is and wimp out.

Yup. That's what usually happens. Much different scenario once September rolls around. That easy walk now can turn into a nightmare later. Water over knee deep gets rid of 99% of them. ;)

wiscbowhntr
500 Club

Unread postby wiscbowhntr » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:41 am

Dewey wrote:
wiscbowhntr wrote:I see some boot tracks in the spring in spots, but I dont see them come hunting season. A lot of the far back spots are easy to access right now with the ground frozen. Come fall when there is a stand on your back and bow in hand it isnt as easy to get to a lot of these spots. I think a lot of guys think they'll go back far after scouting, but when it comes to to hunt them I think they realize just how much work it is and wimp out.

Yup. That's what usually happens. Much different scenario once September rolls around. That easy walk now can turn into a nightmare later. Water over knee deep gets rid of 99% of them. ;)

What does that say about us? We are some kinda twisted!
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:22 am

Dewey wrote:I have been in some pretty remote marsh spots, set up and when I get situated on stand find a [glow=red]bow hanger screwed in[/glow] the tree.

Ive had this situation once.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:24 am

One thing I do know for sure is there are some Beast members scouting around some of my haunts. Been snow scouting for years and never found human tracks in bedding areas but the last few years they are everywhere! :think:

Wasn't me :lol:

Zap

Unread postby Zap » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:28 am

I assume that no public land is never hunted.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:31 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:One thing I do know for sure is there are some Beast members scouting around some of my haunts. Been snow scouting for years and never found human tracks in bedding areas but the last few years they are everywhere! :think:

Looked just like Irish Setter Rutmaster tracks! Do you know anybody that wears them? ;) :lol:

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:33 am

Dewey wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:One thing I do know for sure is there are some Beast members scouting around some of my haunts. Been snow scouting for years and never found human tracks in bedding areas but the last few years they are everywhere! :think:

Looked just like Irish Setter Rutmaster tracks! Do you know anybody that wears them? ;) :lol:

I heard ozzz has a pair.................

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”