"your" spots on public land

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: "your" spots on public land

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:34 am

Dewey wrote:
wiscbowhntr wrote:I see some boot tracks in the spring in spots, but I dont see them come hunting season. A lot of the far back spots are easy to access right now with the ground frozen. Come fall when there is a stand on your back and bow in hand it isnt as easy to get to a lot of these spots. I think a lot of guys think they'll go back far after scouting, but when it comes to to hunt them I think they realize just how much work it is and wimp out.

Yup. That's what usually happens. Much different scenario once September rolls around. That easy walk now can turn into a nightmare later. Water over knee deep gets rid of 99% of them. ;)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Distance and obstruction will always weed out most. Obstruction and distance from home will weed out the lazy hunter. Distance will weed out the non-local young but willing hunters due to financial considerations (ie gas money). For this reason, after the first week, I focus on areas most likely to be impacted by pressure and titrate my hunts until the pre-rut. Rest the best.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:27 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:
Dewey wrote:
wiscbowhntr wrote:I see some boot tracks in the spring in spots, but I dont see them come hunting season. A lot of the far back spots are easy to access right now with the ground frozen. Come fall when there is a stand on your back and bow in hand it isnt as easy to get to a lot of these spots. I think a lot of guys think they'll go back far after scouting, but when it comes to to hunt them I think they realize just how much work it is and wimp out.

Yup. That's what usually happens. Much different scenario once September rolls around. That easy walk now can turn into a nightmare later]Water over knee deep gets rid of 99% of them. ;)[/

Distance and obstruction will always weed out most. Obstruction and distance from home will weed out the lazy hunter. Distance will weed out the non-local young but willing hunters due to financial considerations (ie gas money). For this reason, after the first week, I focus on areas most likely to be impacted by pressure and titrate my hunts until the pre-rut. Rest the best.

try 98% :mrgreen:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:12 pm

BigHunt wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:
Dewey wrote:

Yup. That's what usually happens. Much different scenario once September rolls around. That easy walk now can turn into a nightmare later]Water over knee deep gets rid of 99% of them. ;)[/

try 98% :mrgreen:

You are "Big" Hunt but doubt you count for another 1% of all marsh hunters. I had you figured in my 1%. ;)

Been very dry the last few years and very easy access compared to years past. Wait till the high water years and then we will see if you are a true marsh muck fanatic. :lol:
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:25 pm

Ive wondered what would happen if say 50% of hunters started specifically targeting buck bedding....it would get pretty crazy.

Thankfully we don't really need to worry about that because only a small number of people will put in all that effort on public.

I have seen trees with climber marks, tree step holes, cut branches, all that stuff pretty common on trees I first look at. Its always on the 'obvious' spots tho.
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:27 pm

I've found the same thing in the last 2 years, every bump in any marsh has been scouted by many different hunters. now I am more focused on finding the overlooked areas.
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:05 am

Pictures like this one don't help matters. :lol:

olivertractor
Facebook: what's facebook

Unread postby olivertractor » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:33 am

I snowshoe most winter looking for sign (this winter was the exception) and most hunters that I affiliate with think I'm crazy, far as I'm considered I hope it stays that way! I would say a good way to gauge if there's too many hunters using this method in a given area is if Dan quits killing these mature bucks in this method then there's too many hunters doing it!! :lol: I wouldn't bet on it!!
"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:58 am

when you hunt in Pennsylvania you are just used to it. I have spend literally hours scouring maps and woods looking for her to get to spots, only to find a new road every mile at the MOST. There is no place in my immediate area that is "back in" and we don't have marshes that keep people out. Most hunting here is pretty easy woods and we don't have a great chance of seeing big bucks since most of our bucks are shot at 1.5. We have tons of hunters but most have a spot or two they have permission on or own and public has a reputation of sucking and being too much work to hunt so if you do a little work you find yourself alone at least for a season or two.

We can't use tree pegs, most people are too out of shape to use sticks and climbers so if you go into a woods and see no ladder stands your pretty much good to go.
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:08 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:One thing I do know for sure is there are some Beast members scouting around some of my haunts. Been snow scouting for years and never found human tracks in bedding areas but the last few years they are everywhere! :think:

Wasn't me :lol:

Looked just like Irish Setter Rutmaster tracks! Do you know anybody that wears them? ;) :lol:

I heard ozzz has a pair.................

LOL!
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:30 am

Reality check. This is something I find myself thinking about often and probably worrying too much about. Some good input was given here.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:06 am

Some of my spots get hunted but I seldom see commitment from many stateland hunters... most hunt a season n r gone...

cdeam

Unread postby cdeam » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:05 pm

Most guys I run into are climbers hunting Herndon style. Heck that's how I started when I ventured away from my ladder stand on a small private over hunted farm years ago. Oldrank is right though. Most last a season or two and sell those climbers!

dehart89
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/chad.dehart.89

Unread postby dehart89 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:56 pm

briar wrote:when you hunt in Pennsylvania you are just used to it. I have spend literally hours scouring maps and woods looking for her to get to spots, only to find a new road every mile at the MOST. There is no place in my immediate area that is "back in" and we don't have marshes that keep people out. Most hunting here is pretty easy woods and we don't have a great chance of seeing big bucks since most of our bucks are shot at 1.5. We have tons of hunters but most have a spot or two they have permission on or own and public has a reputation of sucking and being too much work to hunt so if you do a little work you find yourself alone at least for a season or two.

We can't use tree pegs, most people are too out of shape to use sticks and climbers so if you go into a woods and see no ladder stands your pretty much good to go.

Briar, I jusy read an article in F&S about public hunting and it was a state forrest in PA. I cant remembered if they surveyed or used gps, but they found that yhe majority of hunters only went no more than 200 yards from yhe road. This was Turkey hunting though, I'm sure it may be slightly different for deer though.

"If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together" ~ Fred Bear

"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ~ Kirby Puckett
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:31 pm

Snakes and gators play security for me.
Last edited by PK_ on Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:38 pm

PalmettoKid wrote:Snakes and gators play security for me.

If you ever move to Wisconsin PK you would clean up on the marsh bucks!..........poisonous snakes and gators would give me the willies :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”