How close will bucks bed to one another?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Re: How close will bucks bed to one another?

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:59 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:
adrenalin wrote:
Bowhunter4life wrote:4 years ago in rifle season one of the guys that used to hunt with us watched two bucks go and bed right near a point. This was in a clear cut. Both good deer. Next day he got the wind right and slipped over there. Jumped them up and shot the bigger of the two. He was a 4.5 year old 10 that scored 150... The other buck he guessed to be a 3.5 year old. I thought that was very odd beings this was the middle of November... There was not a doe with them either but that's not to say that there was not one close by

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Its funny you say that. One gun season my cousin and I decided to take a boat acrossed the lake he has a place on to some swampy stuff. We didnt know it at the time but you could get to the spot from a logging road around the lake. To get in to the spot we had to go over some beaver dams and logs and stuff, normally a boat would never be back there. Once we got on land we found real good sign right away. We split up, he went one way and I went the other. He walked up a ridge and set up right away. I took my time and stayed in the thick pines going slow looking for a good spot to get up a tree. I finally found a white birch on a little knob that looked like I could get up. The pines were real thick about 5feet tall all around. As I got about 20 yards from the white birch I heard a deer get up and saw a small pine move right next to the birch tree. Out jumped a 155" 10pointer and stood 25 yards away never seeing me. All I had was a bad hind end shot so I waited and he ended up running toward my cousin. Not 5 minutes later he shot the buck as he ran towards him! So after all the excitement I walked over to the birch tree to climbed up. Just as I got to it another big 8 busted out of the same exact spot! This one ran the exact same path right past my cousin. He didnt shoot because he wasnt going to be greedy, but we were both amazed how 2 big bucks were laying side by side. Later that afternoon I learned we caught the bucks off guard by entering through the back door. Once I got up the tree the bucks were bedded under, I saw a logging road they were watching the whole time.. Pretty cool to see it all played out in person.

Did you ever hunt the spot again?

That guy has killed 2 more bucks out of that same spot since he took that 150. They weren't giants but definitely decent deer.
It seems to produce every year around the rut...

Edcyclopedia

Re: How close will bucks bed to one another?

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:50 am

Stories like this goes to show you that the only predictable thing about Whitetail hunting is that it's unpredictable...

Different personalities of the deer.

I'll use my Basketball analogy...
Shaq could only put up w/ Koby for so long ;)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”