How important are nighttime trail cam pics?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MOBIGBUCKS

Re: How important are nighttime trail cam pics?

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:11 am

I only use them to see what is there prior to season. I'm probably not using them the way I should, but they don't mess up my hunts. If I get good bucks on camera then I know the property is worth spending my time on. I like to use them July to September 1st. After that I focus more on hunting.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: How important are nighttime trail cam pics?

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:33 am

JoeRE wrote:I think there is a lot of miss-use of trail cams out there. Lots of hunters try to use cams as a short-cut to tell them where to hunt. That is not a very good way to use them in my opinion, if you are hunting for mature deer. Trying to stick a cam in close to a buck's bedding is just asking to alert him. Scouting should tell you "where" to hunt in an area. I use cams to determine if a particular area is worth hunting. I want to know the size and approximate age of deer in an area. For that, trail cams have no equal. You can get valuable intel as to which direction a buck was moving and under what circumstances...helps you narrow down what bedding to target but don't get sucked into the trap of thinking you should scoot a cam closer and closer bedding. I hang a cam or two on a property for 2 weeks or so on or near main food sources, primary scrapes near food, etc,then pull them and move on.

Almost all the pics of mature bucks I get are at night, at least up till the active rut. Thats what I want. That means I am not too close to the bedding, and I really don't care if a buck avoids a cam location after a while, I will probably be hunting his most likely bedding spots hundreds of yards away...or even a quarter or half a mile away. I don't think a buck will alter his bedding because he smelled where I hung a cam 400 yards away.

I agree with this statement. I also think this why people are using cameras and getting negative effects. There is a skill set to using cameras with out disrupting your hunting area. If you are just hanging cameras and checking them arbitrarily I think your results will expose your lack of trail camera skills.

If you can consistently kill good bucks there is no reason you cant consistently get good bucks on camera. :think:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”