Western IA Hill Country Scout

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

westmibow

Western IA Hill Country Scout

Unread postby westmibow » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:22 am

I haven't posted in a while here been pretty busy. Anyway, I had an opportunity to do some scouting in Western IA so I took it. It was a public area with a mixture of wooded ridges and drainages with corn fields around it.

Here are some of the sign I found with some photos from google earth to help visualize.

One ridge I found was littered with beds. It was a south facing slope with crops above and below. Most of the deer exited down to go to the crop fields.
Here is a google earth image. I found to areas you can see the beds marked in yellow. Something to note is that it just snowed a couple inches 2 days before I was here.
Here are some pictures of the beds I found. I would guess there were 40-50 beds along this ridge most of which were in the areas I marked them above.
This standing near the top of the farthest north ridge where I found the majority of the beds, looking down the ridge towards the direction of the red arrows. You can see there was actually quite a bit of under growth of smaller trees and a lot of briars. I think that is why this was where I found so many more beds on this ridge apposed to others.
Here are a couple pics of rubs I found as well.
I realize a lot of this is winter bedding but I would dare to guess this is a great bedding area during the fall as well.

Another really cool spot I found was an actual shelf. It was a near 10' drop off from the shelf down but they were still able to go up and down it and they were. There was a good half dozen beds right on the edge of that shelf with the perfect vantage point looking out. For some reason I didn't take any photos of the beds here, sorry. But here is a google earth photo. Again all entering and exiting was going down from the beds not a lot going up.
This was a North Facing Slope I found that interesting also.

Here are just a few overview photos of the area.
They left 3 areas of standing corn and you could see it was getting hammered. One area had a small ridge adjacent and they were bedding within 100 yards of the corn. Not surprised at all just very cool to see.

Anyway just thought I'd share because it really demonstrates a lot that is talked about on here.

cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Re: Western IA Hill Country Scout

Unread postby cbigbear » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:57 am

Thanks for sharing & good luck with it next season.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:08 am

Looks more like Eastern Iowa than Western? Western is more flat. Anywho, I would expect bucks to be bedded in the areas you found those beds in the fall... In this case, those beds are in the classic spots they should be.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:27 pm

Looks like great deer terrain to me! Nice write up, I hope you have great hunting!
westmibow

Unread postby westmibow » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:19 am

dan wrote:Looks more like Eastern Iowa than Western? Western is more flat. Anywho, I would expect bucks to be bedded in the areas you found those beds in the fall... In this case, those beds are in the classic spots they should be.

Definitely Western Iowa, its the bluffs to the east of the Missouri River flood plains.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:22 am

westmibow wrote:
dan wrote:Looks more like Eastern Iowa than Western? Western is more flat. Anywho, I would expect bucks to be bedded in the areas you found those beds in the fall... In this case, those beds are in the classic spots they should be.

Definitely Western Iowa, its the bluffs to the east of the Missouri River flood plains.

Interesting... I thought most of it was flat out that way. 8-)
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:57 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:Looks like great deer terrain to me! Nice write up, I hope you have great hunting!

X2. Very nice write up. Good luck!
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”