Wind/Scent question

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

Wind/Scent question

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:15 am

Dan I snipped one of your pictures for my question, hope you don't mind...

In this picture, if I were walking along the same elevation contour line as the buck is laying, but on the opposite side of the ridge, the non leeward side..... Would my scent be drawn over the top and down to him?

Spysar
500 Club

Re: Wind/Scent question

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:02 am

Depends on how far that is, but YES, he can smell you. That's why he's there. IMO.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:08 am

Agreed. YES, he can smell you.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:15 am

I was thinking he would be able to, but do you guys think the wind speed may have effect how far away the scent will carry to him?

In Dan's illustration I used...the hilltop is basically a round top. The area I am looking at has a flat hilltop, that is almost 125 yards wide.

If I were on the opposite side of the leeward, and typically 5-7 mph, I fear more than likely he will still catch my wind.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:27 am

backstraps wrote:I was thinking he would be able to, but do you guys think the wind speed may have effect how far away the scent will carry to him?

In Dan's illustration I used...the hilltop is basically a round top. The area I am looking at has a flat hilltop, that is almost 125 yards wide.

If I were on the opposite side of the leeward, and typically 5-7 mph, I fear more than likely he will still catch my wind.

No. If there was a difference based on wind speed, I'd expect the buck will adjust his position on the ridge similar to a change in wind direction. The only exception IMO would be no wind situation. However, if the non-leeward side is the cold (North) side, he may stage on the cold side and you'll bump him directly.
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:30 am

Actually had this happen this year while scouting. I walk almost to the tip of the point and I was scouting about that 1/3 elevation. That day the wind was blowing right against my side going toward the top of the ridge. I heard something on the opposite side take off and I ran up to the tip of the point to see it running off in the hollow. Walked over and checked out the bed and sure enough it was a buck using it.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:05 am

Great question for conversation. I think a lot of guys think scouting is looking for beds/deer sign, only. Take some milk weed seed out with you and see where it goes as you are scouting.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:58 am

Spysar wrote:Depends on how far that is, but YES, he can smell you. That's why he's there. IMO.

No. If there was a difference based on wind speed, I'd expect the buck will adjust his position on the ridge

Take some milk weed seed out with you and see where it goes as you are scouting.

The above quotes are exactly my thoughts about your question.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:30 am

backstraps wrote:I was thinking he would be able to, but do you guys think the wind speed may have effect how far away the scent will carry to him?

That's a pretty slow wind speed, but 125 yards on a flat top leaves little doubt in my mind that he will detect your presence... even if you wear charcoal and spray everything down.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:20 am

I was scouting alone. I was dropping milk weed seeds. They did rise to the top elevation but I couldn't see where they were going from there.

The reason I posed the question for conversation....I thought I seen a few seeds hit the ground just as they crested the hillside I was on. Almost looked as if once the thermal carried the seed to the top, then the prevailing wind pushed it to the ground.

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:51 pm

backstraps wrote:I was scouting alone. I was dropping milk weed seeds. They did rise to the top elevation but I couldn't see where they were going from there.

The reason I posed the question for conversation....I thought I seen a few seeds hit the ground just as they crested the hillside I was on. Almost looked as if once the thermal carried the seed to the top, then the prevailing wind pushed it to the ground.

Scent just doesn't drop to the ground like a milkweed seed - think if you had set off a smoke bomb at that spot, you would have gotten a long plume of smoke over the ridge and probably right through that bed. Your scent cone would be pretty similar to that. The further upwind of a deer you are, the wider your scent cone too, just like that smoke will spread out over distance - even with a nice consistent wind.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”