What should I expect going into the marsh

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

62kodiak
500 Club

What should I expect going into the marsh

Unread postby 62kodiak » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:32 pm

This may sound like a weird question. Like most normal(not beast) hunters I have never ventured into the marsh. What can I expect to run into out there? How deep on average is the water in your run of the mill marsh? What are my odds of finding a big hole, old deadfall or roots? How firm is the bottom of the marsh? Can I expect to have to dredge through knee deep boot sucking mud and muck?

These are just a few questions that have been rolling around in my head now that this will be my first year hunting beast style.

It's not the knowing that's difficult, but the doing.
Brad

Re: What should I expect going into the marsh

Unread postby Brad » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:37 pm

Don't feel bad the marsh is very intimidating. I always feel that I will fall through and get stuck and drown. In reality it isn't too bad, it is a smelly soggy mess though, almost like walking on a waterbed. On the edges its a jungle of brush that trips you, scrapes you, and knocks you down. I've only been in a marsh 3 times but I'm gonna change that!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
62kodiak
500 Club

Unread postby 62kodiak » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:43 pm

The getting sucked in and dying part is a little bit of a concern for me. I am what most would consider a "big fatguy", but I am hoping to change that before season to make navigating the marsh and mud a little less of a pain.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:46 pm

When your walking in the marsh walk on the sides of the trail on the cattail bases, they are the strongest. If you see a dark spot navigate around it. If you go in grab the cattails to pull yourself out.

trapper57
500 Club

Unread postby trapper57 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:46 pm

It's all hard (frozen) right now!
Good time to scout.
Except for the deep snow.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:03 pm

Id scout it while the ground is frozen.... once the ground thaws in spring no fun!

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:06 pm

It can get nasty in areas where there are natural springs. They seem to be my least favorite holes to get stuck in. You can spot them easily though in early spring because they will never really ice over and they will have lots of green vegetatiom around them before anything else does.

Really its not horrible though, just dont be afraid of gettin a lil wet and learn not to carry a lot of stuff with u. If u get stuck just take your time and lay flat to give yourself more surface area. Ive been stuck in a hole before for fifteen minutes with a stand on my back.

One other thing ive noticed is any little creeks or stream with a current have a harder bottom to them than your typical spring-fed mud hole.

After a while u kinda learn to minimize your contact with the troubled areas and just cross them at one point to make it to the next piece of high ground which is where the beds are anyways

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:23 pm

If your walking and it starts to feel like your standing on a basketball and you can bounce up and down and water starts bubbling , than back out . I have encountered a few of these and they really are not safe. One thing I would advise is a walking stick . It works great for testing ground and bracing you if you loose balance.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:33 pm

Marshes around here have been very dry the past few years so they have been much easier to navigate. I have a feeling this season may be closer to normal again.

Stick to areas of vegetation and avoid larger open areas since that is where the deeper water usually is. Best footing is near the roots of the cattails. The muck is what makes walking very difficult since you always feel like you are losing your balance while carrying your hunting gear, especially top heavy stand and sticks.

If you end up on a floating cattail bog and see the cattails waving ahead of you I would recommend backing out and find a different route. If you fall through you can get in trouble very quickly because you never know how deep the water is underneath.

62kodiak
500 Club

Unread postby 62kodiak » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:26 pm

Thanks for the great responses guys. Oh and NOT COOL. I was just worried about getting stuck in the mud or tripping on a root before this thread. Now the pessimist in me is convince I am going to fall through a bog. :doh:
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:41 pm

62kodiak wrote:Thanks for the great responses guys. Oh and NOT COOL. I was just worried about getting stuck in the mud or tripping on a root before this thread. Now the pessimist in me is convince I am going to fall through a bog. :doh:

Just take your time and plan your route by avoiding deeper spots and you will be fine. The deer trails normally take the shallower areas and most times they are the best way to get around in the marsh.

checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:09 pm

Man this is some scary sounding stuff!

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:32 pm

The best thing to do is to get out and cover some ground in the area you are interested in. It is easy now that it is frozen. I would also recomend scouting after the snow melt to get your "sea legs" in the marsh without having a stand on your back. Walk your entrance and exit just to prove to yourself that it is safe. As was stated earlier in the deeper stuff step on the cattail bulb, I also hang on to the cattails for balance if I get tippy.

If you find yourself in a dicey situation, with a rising sense of panic as you slowly sink remember to stay positive..........you are gonna see Jesus soon.

darenative

Unread postby darenative » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:26 pm

:lol: It's not as bad as it sounds.

Keep a spare set of clothes in the truck, and go have fun.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:57 pm

The truth of the matter is it seems dangerous and scary, and is to some degree, but I don't hear about to many people dieing out there. So most likely your worst outcome would be getting wet and physically drained....

The best way to find out what the marsh is like is to dive in and find out for yourself....

Once piece of advice though... When its frozen its more dangerous than when its thawed. Rotting vegitation will create warm spots that never freeze enough to hold a person and the ice will let you get out over deeper areas you would not get to if there was not ice. During late season I went thru up to my armpits and never hit bottom, and there were people driving trucks on the pond 200 yards from where I fell thru.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”