What makes you say...that is a winter food source bed?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

basspro05
500 Club

What makes you say...that is a winter food source bed?

Unread postby basspro05 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:13 am

I hear a lot of talk about winter food source beds vs. fall beds.

This time of year when there is a little bit of snow on the ground and you find a bed, how do you determine that its a winter bed vs. a fall bed.

I know it probably varies, but I am just nervous some of the bedding areas I am finding won't pan out when the season starts up.

Edcyclopedia

Re: What makes you say...that is a winter food source bed?

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:53 am

Yarding areas from my experience and for the most part are in conifers.
They nibble the ends of branches, strip the bark and can paw the ground more easily and for a longer period of time.
Plus the warmth and security factors, so you will likely find large amounts of beds together...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:02 am

If it is really cold with lots of snow and the deer are yarded up in your area the beds are more than likely winter beds. The key to this is finding beds that are used in the fall and see if they are still used in the winter. I think we sometimes want things to happen faster than they really can.

Just like bass fishing you have to pay your dues. I think if you start looking for beds when the deer yards break up you will find beds being used that you can consider hunting next fall. If you are bass fishing a summer pattern, in colder water in the fall you won't catch many fish.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
basspro05
500 Club

Unread postby basspro05 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:05 am

Stanley wrote:If it is really cold with lots of snow and the deer are yarded up in your area the beds are more than likely winter beds. The key to this is finding beds that are used in the fall and see if they are still used in the winter. I think we sometimes want things to happen faster than they really can.

Just like bass fishing you have to pay your dues. I think if you start looking for beds when the deer yards break up you will find beds being used that you can consider hunting next fall. If you are bass fishing a summer pattern, in colder water in the fall you won't catch many fish.

Putting it in those terms definetely makes sense. So its best to check these areas out again in another month once the weather breaks, and see if they are still using them.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:13 am

That is how I would do it.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
basspro05
500 Club

Unread postby basspro05 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:23 am

You are right, took me years to figure out fishing...yet I find the beast and I think I can learn all of this in a few months :lol: I am just living and breathing this stuff right now, its just my personality, I love the challenge and the influx of new information, so sorry if I get a little ahead of myself.

I appreciate the info!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:26 am

When the snow melts the sign should still be at the beds from fall preserved under the snow.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”