I live in the Southeast and we don't get snow

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

fbcoach39

I live in the Southeast and we don't get snow

Unread postby fbcoach39 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:32 am

Ok I have read a lot of post on here and most of you guys are from up North where it snows. Well here in the south that is rare. So I am looking for some insight on spotting beds without snow. I can go to the woods and find rubs, scrapes trails ect. But I must say that I can follow the trails quite a ways then they always seem to disappear. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

STICK'EM
basspro05
500 Club

Re: I live in the Southeast and we don't get snow

Unread postby basspro05 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:48 am

I am very new to this, and in Kansas we do get snow...but one thing I notice, is I can follow a distinct set of tracks and walk hundreds of yards following them...when the trail starts to get scattered in the snow...normally I am very close to a bedding area/ bed...

Seems as though the deer get close to the bedding and will wander around the perimeter scent checking or visually checking, before they enter. So the tracks I was following get really confusing.

At that point, my buddy and I really slow down and walk that particular area very carefully, and so far we have found beds everytime.

So maybe, where the trail starts to disappear, open your eyes up a little and slow down.

Not sure if that works or will help in your case, but it definetely does in our case.
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:21 am

Are you hunting hills or flatland?
fbcoach39

Unread postby fbcoach39 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:03 am

Where I hunt is hills and flat land. It is near a large reservoir. I just ordered the dvd about hunting hills.
STICK'EM
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:06 am

The buck beds will typically be high on ridge points jutting out from the ridge.... the video will bring it together for ya.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:39 am

Yep the video will help a ton. Hill bedding seems to be more exact like Bucky said on points at certain elevations so it's easier to find than the flatland stuff. I'm hunting MS hills myself & find the bucks are right where the beast say they should be!!!!
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:24 am

It doesn't snow here either....much. Finding beds is tough for me too. But, once you find a few it does get a bit easier and I'd bet you've walked right past some and not even knew it. You'll start to see somewhat of a pattern to bedding. Some are distinct, most are not from my experience. For hill country, it's easier for me to go by terrain, not trails, rubs, or sign. As Bucky said, the hill country DVD will explain that.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
tmarbut

Unread postby tmarbut » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:21 am

I am in GA. There is very little snow here ever. I agree with you it is a tough challenge to find beds. It is still do-able though.

My opinion: buy & watch Marsh Bucks then Hill Country videos, in that order. They make better sense together for an overall game plan.

Next: post topos of areas you hunt and get some feedback of where your best chances to find the best odds of where bucks would be.

Then get out & start looking. It will not be the proverbial 'needle-in-the-haystack' search at that point.

It was suggested to me that this is the best time to find the beds, snow or no snow, to see the winter patterns, to figure set-ups, etc. Don't wit til later, but rather put some miles under you now.

Good luck!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”