Track... or Trailcam?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Pick only one... tracks or trailcams. See my post below:

I would absolutely and quickly choose trailcams.
16%
I would hesitate but in the end I would keep the trailcam option.
16%
After a lot of debate, I would have to go with deer tracks.
12%
No brainer here... I would keep the deer tracks.
57%

Total votes: 58
johndeere506
500 Club

Re: Track... or Trailcam?

Unread postby johndeere506 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:09 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote: Good woodsmanship gets you close, the cameras sharpen your pencil.

Well stated, sounds like it is working for you. 8-)

I like that and agree. Trail cams didn't help me when I didn't know what I was doing. They are more exiting to check early and mid season. Late season I'd take tracks because they only go go from food and be here. If only one I'd pick cams, but only for the entertainment value. I've had lots of fun checking cams and getting pics of bucks I'll never see again. Tracks have TAUGHT me more so that's the better plan, that would help kill more big bucks.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

BigCedarJack
500 Club

Unread postby BigCedarJack » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:41 pm

Stanley wrote:You know, I consider trail cameras almost a separate hobby from hunting. I don't set up trail cameras to hunt bucks per say. I do and will use the information I gather from trail cameras to use next year or a year after that even. I don't need trail cameras to set up on and kill a buck.

I have said this before the biggest part of the hunt for me is the anticipation of the hunt. There is a huge anticipation when setting trail cameras and waiting to view what is on those cards. That is why I use trail cameras. The older I get the more fun I have with the cameras.

Deer tracks are a big part of seeing what is happening in the timber. I can't use cameras to tell me what is going on in a lot of the areas I hunt. Deer tracks will always be part of the equation figuring out where the deer are and where they have been. Great topic SB.

For me in answering this question I simply asked myself why and what do I use these two candidates for... Most all of my camera use is exactly as Stanley stated. I simply prefer the deer hunting over the deer picture hobby; and when I'm on the hunt ,and like someone else mentioned tracking a hit deer, I want/need the tracks! (not the mention, tracks are free and don't need batteries!). My main "hunting" purpose for cameras is what BassBoyLLP said, "I'm not just hunting big bucks, I'm hunting big racks. You can waste a lot of time hunting tracks. I did that for years." There are lots of mature bucks out there, I like how the camera helps me find the one that has some special headgear. I'm glad I have both! Fun to consider.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:48 am

You can never have enough cameras to take the place of tracks.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:51 am

Where I hunt as dry and hard as the ground is tracks are all but useless. If there is snow on the ground or if your ground always stays wet and bare I can see that but that's not the case here. You are lucky to find even one good track on most tracking jobs. Scouting for bucks with tracks... Well that just isn't the case where I hunt.

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:44 am

If your after a certain size buck trail cam would be better IMO. If you see a 4 finger track it could be a button buck born with big feet. Kidding! I remember I heard Roger raglin say that he shot a couple of booners with small hooves.

stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:11 am

I'm old school and cheap. Plus right now I'm just in the any mature buck will do mode. So it's tracks all the way for me. If I grow into a mature large headgear buck hunter I can see how cams would be very important to making this happen on a consistent basis.
BHC

Unread postby BHC » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:21 am

Trail cams! Tracks are nice to see, but in the rocky hilly terrain I hunt, where it rarely snows they don't tell you a ton and actual tracking is a non option...

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:24 pm

I said trail cams because as previously stated, the ground is often hard and dry so it's hard to tell anything a lot of times and secondly, I am just not very good at tracking a specific set of tracks very far...

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:47 pm

I bet the choice has lots to do with where you hunt MOST. Here at home on smaller parcels, trail cams win. On big public, or anything w snow tracks are better.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”