Who wants to help me cyberscout this topo?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Muy Grande
Location: Alabama; chase whitetails in Tennessee and Kentucky

Who wants to help me cyberscout this topo?

Unread postby Muy Grande » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:44 pm

Figured I would jump right in asking for advice. Property line is marked in red. Thanks in advance!

"When we can no longer draw bows, when sinew has shrunk and bone gone brittle, we will hunt in our dreams because hunting is part of our souls."
PK_
500 Club

Re: Who wants to help me cyberscout this topo?

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:14 am

That is a great looking property. Great mix of potential bedding and funnels.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:36 am

I will try and take a stab at it when I get home, that's a mighty fine looking property and there are a lot of places that look great for bed hunting as well as rut hunting. That will take a lot of boot leather to confirm/spot check but I think you have a great spot!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Muy Grande

Unread postby Muy Grande » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:17 am

I learn something new there every year, and I've been hunting it 12 years. I'll try to get an aerial view up as well tonight. Thanks!

[ Post made via Windows Smartphone ] Image
"When we can no longer draw bows, when sinew has shrunk and bone gone brittle, we will hunt in our dreams because hunting is part of our souls."
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:54 am

I marked some likely buck bedding for you. Red is bedding for a west wind. Blue north. Yellow East. and orange south.
Muy Grande

Unread postby Muy Grande » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:33 pm

Thanks, Dan! I'm going to go ahead and put an aerial overlay of it up later tonight and maybe show where I park for access and a few stand sites I have been hunting in years past where you guys can pick it apart and tell me where I have been screwing up if you like. Can't wait to get a chance to look at some of these possible beds. Love this site!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:34 pm

Sounds good... If you walk it this spring, let me know how accurate the spots are. :D
Muy Grande

Unread postby Muy Grande » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:59 pm

Inside the neon green line is planted pines that are around 10 years old, 20-25 feet tall and thick. Inside the yellow line is select cutover. Very thick stuff. It is around 7-8 years old. The four stands I have marked are the ones I have had up the longest on the property and have had some success (not great) out of. Mostly during the rut. I usually have a couple of small (<1 acre) plots in the valley pasture. They get sporadic use, a lot at night. Last year I planted a soybean plot in the opening that is in the top left (right under the word original where is says the pic has been resized). The deer loved it once I took my plotsaver fence down. Long story short, I had a great buck for my area (150ish) using it daily per camera. I stubbornly chanced an iffy wind for the field and had a doe get downwind of me about 20 minutes before he usually showed up. Blown out, buck went nocturnal. Rookie mistake, I know.

Tell me what you think. All suggestions and critiques are very welcome!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”