beds and digging

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

lostinstateforest

beds and digging

Unread postby lostinstateforest » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:50 am

6 beds on this hill side. No buck beds but definitely a nice doe bedding area. Below is the topo shot of the area. Some bedding at the bottom where its marked doe bedding but the most sign was near the points name" Dan bed" and "Great"

Took a long walk the other day and found many beds but only 1 I considered to be a bucks. The snow has been on here for well over a month and the deer had a few areas tore up. These areas were in the only areas without large timber. What they heck they digging for roots of a plant?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

My friend, we must not compromise doctrine for the sake of results!
~ Dr. John Goetsch
JoeRE
500 Club

Re: beds and digging

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:27 am

I don't know if the are digging for roots, its possible just don't know what roots they would eat, but I have seen them dig for dried up mushrooms and moss/lichen on rocks before.

Not just that but it looks like you have some oaks around there in the pics - sure they just aren't after acorns?

Keep in mind bedding this time of year is more weather-oriented than earlier in the fall. Looks like they might be spending time on a south facing hillside for warmth.
lostinstateforest

Re: beds and digging

Unread postby lostinstateforest » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:00 am

Great point with the south facing slopes. As far as them digging for acorns in the areas pictured it made no sense to me bc I walked miles and miles in oaks with no digging and as soon as I hit a transitional line between oaks and very immature trees that are very thick the digging started everywhere. If the were looking for acorns in this areas it didnt make sense bc they were at least 75 yards from the acorns trees.

Not just that but it looks like you have some oaks around there in the pics - sure they just aren't after acorns?

Keep in mind bedding this time of year is more weather-oriented than earlier in the fall. Looks like they might be spending time on a south facing hillside for warmth.[/quote]

[quote="JoeRE"]I don't know if the are digging for roots, its possible just don't know what roots they would eat, but I have seen them dig for dried up mushrooms and moss/lichen on rocks before.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
My friend, we must not compromise doctrine for the sake of results!
~ Dr. John Goetsch

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”