Snow scouting for the first time

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tmarbut

Snow scouting for the first time

Unread postby tmarbut » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:08 am

We are set to get our first snow in several years here. I never had scouted in snow. Since learning more about the Beast hunting tactics, I want to take full advantage of it. It looks like I have about 24 hrs from when it falls to when it will melt away.

What are the most important things to focus on? I am thinking beds first, followed by identifying funnels, then locating specific trees to hunt from. Suggestions are appreciated and needed!

semperfidelis

Re: Snow scouting for the first time

Unread postby semperfidelis » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:45 am

Certainly bedding location and suitable trees to hunt the beds you locate. I would recommend having a gameplan (specific suspected bed locations you plan on checking prior to heading out). If you have the ability to use a GPS and a track log feature, I would also recommend following major trails you find while scouting with the track log turned on. This can help you observe travel patterns and find additional clues that can help you piece together the puzzle in your hunting locations.

Take water and stay out as long as you can. A day of scouting in the snow is probably worth 5 days scouting without snow.

Good luck.
tmarbut

Unread postby tmarbut » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:46 am

Thank you! The 80/20 always seems to apply to me! I had 80% of it, but your suggestion gave me the 20% that should really make a difference!
I will definitely follow the trails w/ GPS. Great suggestion!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:49 am

Funnels are obvious... Find bedding areas.
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:14 am

Find some transition lines and cut the tracks back to bedding. Once you find the beds, get down in them and look to see what the deer sees, it's a real eye opener. It will help you plan your attack. Good luck and have fun!

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
tmarbut

Unread postby tmarbut » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:25 am

10-4 Dan & Seed! I hope to do something like what I saw in Marsh Bucks and find the bed quickly and follow the tracks to see the habits & travel patterns. Might get lucky and cut tracks first....

Also, gonna try bump a specific ghost of a buck that is seen only between 11pm & 4 am & figure out what he does under pressure.

Much appreciated!
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:09 am

I've been hammering on this for the past couple days with a little snow on the ground and the trails and bedding super visable. It's such a good tool for putting the pieces together. I bet I've found 50+ beds yesterday and today. and some fantastic trees to set up in and trails connecting 3-5 different beds. Found some great funnels going right into/out off phragmites marsh and every place there was a tree in the phrag=bed. And what little terrain we have I can totally see why the trails are where they are at. Stoked already for next year!
tmarbut, We're getting the same blast you guys are tonight. I have 3 more days left in the season after today. Can't wait till the front passage to get things moving. I hope it sticks around for a little while so I can walk all the spots I want to check out. We've had snow on the ground here for 10-12 days. I think we're getting 4''-6". Beds and trails jump right out. Hasn't been that way for a few years.
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
Beast-Mode

Unread postby Beast-Mode » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:39 pm

Milk Weed Seed wrote:Find some transition lines and cut the tracks back to bedding. Once you find the beds, get down in them and look to see what the deer sees, it's a real eye opener. It will help you plan your attack. Good luck and have fun!

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

Great advice.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”