Kayak attack ?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DaveT1963
500 Club

Re: Kayak attack ?

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:34 am

My nucanoe can carry up to 750 pounds and easily has as much room as most canoes

Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:41 am

DaveT1963 wrote:My nucanoe can carry up to 750 pounds and easily has as much room as most canoes

That's impressive. What's the length on it? My 12' kayak is rated 500lbs which should be enough for me, gear, and a nice sized deer. Will be a bit cramped but should be doable since its an entirely open floor plan.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:01 am

12 foot by 41 inches... the advertised max capacity is 650.... sorry I was off.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:25 am

DaveT1963 wrote:12 foot by 41 inches... the advertised max capacity is 650.... sorry I was off.

Still better than mine. Width is 33” for my yak and it’s still stable enough to stand on. Must be where you get the extra 150lbs of capacity
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Ozark goat hunter

Unread postby Ozark goat hunter » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:59 am

My profile pic is me in my yak on the Missouri river. It's a Necky Manitou Sport. 11 ft, 43 lbs, 26.5 in width, and 300 lbs max capacity.
Does just fine with my bow on the front and a Millennium M7 Microlite and Lone Wolf sticks on the back.
I keep an inflatable dinghy in the truck to tow behind the yak to get deer out.
MilesFromNoWhere

Unread postby MilesFromNoWhere » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:19 pm

After reading this thread I have a few thoughts. I have been using a kayak to hunt for years and really like the results. I have also used a canoe a few time but prefer the kayak most of the time.

The kayak IMO is way more steathy! I think it is because I am lower to the water when paddling. It is also faster and more maneuverable in my experience. But what I like most about the kayak is it's ability to get into tight places. One of the small creeks I hunt near is for the most part less then 3 feet wide making paddling up stream almost impossible. The creek is not shallow but very tight and winding! My kayak is only 10 feet long and some of the bends are still an issue for clearance with the banks. It would be almost impossible to get a 13 ft one man canoe up the creek and a 17ft two man canoe would have no chance.

The kayak is not necessary to access my stand locations but it make hauling my gear and hopefully a deer back out much easier. I actually wear waders and pull the kayak behind me when walking to and from the stand. I can float back down or push poll up the creek but it is just easier to walk in the water and pull the yak behind me. The stand locations I hunt are almost 2 miles deep in a public mash. Like I said the area can be accessed by trails with waterproof boots but it is hard going in the marsh mud and cattails not to mention LOUD! By pulling my kayak behind me up the creek the access is much easier and almost silent if I go slow. The marsh I hunt is nasty and most of my friends and the other people who hunt the area will not make the effort to walk back two miles through it. This leaves me far back on the edge of the public land all by myself. It also hides my ground sent and is a better access direction for the prevailing wind so it works out great. If any of you have dragged a big deer out of a nasty marsh you know how bad it sucks. I wish I could describe the looks I've got dragging my tiny 10 foot yak with a nice big buck... easiest drag you will ever have hahaha

All this being said if I am going to hunt on a lake or bigger slow moving river, or if I have a buddy to help paddle the canoe is a better set up.

Both the canoe and yak have a place but don't think that you have to be in the boat to make it extremely useful.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:13 pm

Bumping this back up for a question to you experienced guys.

I'm guessing if 2 guys are going in together, then the canoe would be the better option? 2 guys to carry & paddle.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:27 pm

tgreeno wrote:Bumping this back up for a question to you experienced guys.

I'm guessing if 2 guys are going in together, then the canoe would be the better option? 2 guys to carry & paddle.

I would think so as well. I know you can get tandem yaks, but I think the canoe would probably be a better alternative. Especially for weight capacity.

BUT... if the tandem has scupper holes, you can buy the plugs for them and really increase the weight limit

My yak is:
144″ long the width is 30 3/4″
Has a weight capacity of 395 lbs and weighs in at 48 lbs

I can add the plugs and it amazes me the weight it will hold safely. I have really weighed my yak down!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”