Newbie buck bed scouting question from South Louisiana...

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lones11

Newbie buck bed scouting question from South Louisiana...

Unread postby Lones11 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:42 pm

Hi all. I'm hunting in cypress swamps and hard wood bottom swamps in south Louisiana. Could some of you please help me by elaborating on universal rules of thumb that would apply when scouting to find buck beds? I'm sorry for being so general, but I haven't had time to read up on all of the posts here (I am working on it though) about buck beds and scouting. I normally just hunt deer sigh which ends up getting me a doe or a very young buck. My new goal is to find a mature buck and make it my point to learn him and harvest him. I still have a month left in the season here and plan on hunting hard for all of it. Thanks in advance.

cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Re: Newbie buck bed scouting question from South Louisiana..

Unread postby cbigbear » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:40 am

Welcome bro, good to see you made it over. Here are some threads that should get you started. I'd also recommend you post a map or 2 of your area for members to mark up.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=18645&p=294674&hilit=Flat#p294674

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17410&hilit=Always+on+edge

And a catch all

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6693&hilit=Edge

The other thing I've learned is slowwww down when scouting. Prior to the beast I was covering ground while scouting just blowing & going looking for masive sign. It was easy to see while moving fast it kinda jumped out at ya. Bedding doesn't jump at all & buck beds are down right hard to find. You can easily walk within yds & never see them. Scout with purpose slow & methodically.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”