4 year old first sighting = COOL

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Edcyclopedia

4 year old first sighting = COOL

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:04 pm

I spent the previous weekend in a new spot setting a stand off a little pond. This is a dandy of a spot and only a couple hundred yards off a well used country road, yet secluded enough that looks like I will have a honey hole once the pressure starts. It also appears like the bucks will try to corner the Doe's once rut starts... I can dream anyways!

So I set a camera up on the opposite side of a beaver dam where the deer are crossing and then decided to go back to the camera location with my 4 year old, Jake. As we walked to within 50 yards or so, I hear a deer jump up and start running. Now Jake is on my shoulders while I was walking, so I stopped and pointed to the small opening where the sound was moving toward and told Jake to look for the running deer! He proceeds to yell "Buck Daddy - Buck"! Then he grabs my two cheeks with his little hands (once I had him in my arms while trying to quiet him) krinkles his little nose, and gives me a kiss, then whispers "I saw a Buck Daddy"! He knows we only whisper in the woods:)

A parents pride & joy moment...
Share a story of your own, we would love to hear!!!

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Re: 4 year old first sighting = COOL

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:42 pm

8-) Stories like that are what being a dad is all about. You got him on the right path!
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:07 am

I can remember when my son was 4 years old. I got him a toy bow and I drew a deer on a cardboard box for him to shoot at. I drew in the lungs and heart and told him to shoot the deer in the heart. He was shooting arrows all over. The bow was so weak that sometimes the arrows wouldn't even stick in the cardboard. Then he drew back and stuck that deer right in the heart. I think I was more pumped then when I shoot a trophy buck. I wanted to take that box and show everyone that my son killed a buck. That was 13 years ago but I remember it like it happened yesterday.
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:46 am

I went on a field trip with my son's Kindergarten class last year. A lot of the kids in his class were bragging to me about how important their parents were and what they have at their homes. I could see my son just sitting there, not saying anything for a long time. He just kept looking at me and I pretended I did not even notice because I didn't want to embarass him. As the conversation died my son said, "Hey guys! My dad killed a big buck deer and there is blood in the back of his truck, I saw it!"...all the kids just started screaming "ewwww" and then yelled for the teacher to tell on my son because he talked about blood or whatever....hahahahaha!

We took a trip down to the beach about a week ago and my brother in law overheard my son telling some bogus story to another group of youngsters. He said, "yeah, I shot a buck deer one time, but it didn't die quick. I had to track its blood....". LOL.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:56 am

When my girls were able to stand on their own and look out the window they would get more excited to see a "deee-uh" than when they saw a puppy. Granted the pic was taken in the winter when not many puppies were outside but you get the point.

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:59 am

Great stories!! My 2 girls love to go shining with me. They always let me know when they see deer out the window of the house. Kids are GREAT I really don't know how I could manage without them.
AC Rider
500 Club

Unread postby AC Rider » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:45 am

My 8 year old daughter Layne climed her first portable stand on Sunday. She was a bit nervous but so brave while she climbed the pegs all the way up on the platform. She was so proud and she cant wait to sit opening day.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:15 am

The update is... I pulled the camera and this spot reveals a tall 6 pointer, another 6 point & a Doe with a spotted fawn...
Jake loved OUR pics & vids:)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
AC Rider
500 Club

Unread postby AC Rider » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:43 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:The update is... I pulled the camera and this spot reveals a tall 6 pointer, another 6 point & a Doe with a spotted fawn...
Jake loved OUR pics & vids:)
Awesome!!! :D
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:37 am

Some how missed this one Ed! Thanks for letting me know about It. Great post Ed, great post!!!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:28 am

When Rat Slayer was little ( around 7 or 8 maybe ) I was going to go for a walk one day in late August to look for sign around a vegetable field. Rat asked if he could come and I said sure. He ran off and came back with his bow thinking he was going to get a chance to hunt. I didn't have the heart to tell him no, so off we went. As I was looking at some deer tracks in a cabbage field I noticed movement and out walked a doe and she came walking right past us. I got down real low so as not to spook her so Rat could get a closer look. Then all the sudden an arrow launched and missed the does throat by inches :shock: It was pretty funny, never thought about him actually shooting. Would of been really bad if he connected!
Guess he was a born killer!
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:19 pm

Don't know how I missed this post, but think it's the best having the kids experiance all things outdoors and see their reactions.

My 3 year old daughter goes just about nuts when she sees a deer. Everything is a "deer-buck"....her and I are the early rises at the house and we will sit on the back deck and sometimes see deer while having the morning coffee. Not for long.....because when she sees them she screams out "daddy look at the deer-bucks".

Going to Fleet Farm or Gander and seeing all the mounts, she just about burns a set of tennis shoes out running around screaming deer-bucks. 8-)
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:41 pm

Dan I can relate to your story with Rat Slayer.

My son when 5 wanted to shoot a deer in the worse way...practiced all the time at the target with his little compound bow and became quite the shot.

One day we're sitting at the house and he comes screaming up-stairs, we have a walk out basement with patio doors, and says there's a deer right by the door and he wants to shoot it. I look out the up-stairs patio and sure enough there's a fawn standing out in the yard a good 20-25 yards out.....I finally give in and say why not, go fling an arrow. Mind you he's just shooting field points and about 12 lbs. ;)

Well, we go down stairs and slowly slide the door open, deer is pushing 30 yards out now and I'm thinking no way he comes close to the fawn. Well he pulls back and says, "she's way out there dad I need to aim high" and lets her loose.

You could of clocked that arrow with a calender how slow it was traveling to that fawn and the deer just stood there watching the whole event unfold. Couldn't believe it when he hit right behind the shoulder and the deer takes off. Now of course the arrow bounces off and comes shooting back at us. My boy is just about going nuts yelling "I got one, I finally got one." We put our boots on and truck on out there looking for "blood". Of course we find none but he did have (2) little hairs on the arrow and I tell him we will track it tomorrow after he gets out of pre-school, as darkness is approaching.

Long story short, I shot that fawn the next day from the yard before he came home from school. He comes tearing in the house and we set out and track "his" deer. This is mid November with snow on the ground and I let him track the whole way.....she only went about 80-100 yards and bled like a stuck pig, Ray Charles could have followed this blood trail.

We find the deer and he just about going nuts....high fiving and big bear hugs. Never had the heart to tell him the truth to this day.

Some day I can tell some more of his stories........
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:47 am

These are AWESOME stories guys!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”