gps apps

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
phragmike

Re: gps apps

Unread postby phragmike » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:09 am

Hodag Hunter wrote:
phragmike wrote:Trimble GPS Hunt is a good one. You can mark waypoints and also attach pics, video, or audio files to those points. It will also record tracks. Then you can switch between satelite and topo and regular street maps and all the points you recorded will show up on those maps. There are some extra features you can get with either a $2.99/month or $29.99/yearly subscription but it is a good app without the subscription. I believe it used to be called Cabela Recon.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

I just downloaded this app a week ago. Haven't played to much with it but how does one record tracks? Was trying to figure it out last weekend when following a blood trail

To record a track you have to click on either the Maps icon or the Blood Trailing icon from the home screen. That will bring up a map, in the bottom right corner will say Track Off, just click it and it'll turn on and start recording. If you use the blood trailing icon you can also mark where the shot was made, where the deer was standing when it was hit, and then mark where blood was found and whether it was Trace, Moderate, or Heavy Blood.

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:19 am

Thanks for the help

I was marking blood and seen where one could mark trace, moderate and heavy. That task was laying waypoints down. Cool feature

brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:23 pm

I went out scouting today but my stupid gps apps wouldnt work because lack of service I gotta figure out how to use offline or buy a gps

[ Post made via Android ] Image
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:20 pm

brkissl82 wrote:I went out scouting today but my stupid gps apps wouldnt work because lack of service I gotta figure out how to use offline or buy a gps

I'm not sure what you have so I can't help, but My Trails is easy to use off line.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:28 pm

I use "MyTrails" and "Backcountry Navigator" offline - you might try those ones.
brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:07 am

Do u have to set it when u go offlinebor does it automatically do it when outta range

Bowhunter74201

Unread postby Bowhunter74201 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:29 am

i use scoutlook.. pretty good app.
lostinstateforest

Unread postby lostinstateforest » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:36 am

bigwoodsmn wrote:I use "MyTrails" and "Backcountry Navigator" offline - you might try those ones.

Hard to beat Back country navigator imho. I recently found I can upload and download with Cal topo to this app. As far as lack of reception I only need gps. Also I found to not turn the gps off ever. It's easier to stay connected than reconnect.

My friend, we must not compromise doctrine for the sake of results!
~ Dr. John Goetsch
Schubox1265

Unread postby Schubox1265 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:07 am

brkissl82 wrote:Do u have to set it when u go offline or does it automatically do it when outta range

Whatever app you use, you have to define the area beforehand. The app should ask you to define an area for download by selecting a window-box.
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:13 am

For Android i have used Backcountry Navigator and GPS hunt extensively,

I like GPS hunt better, i find it a bit more user friendly and the satellite maps are MUCH better... You can also download them to your computer easily now

If you may lose service you need to download the area map while you do have service so when you lose it, you are still in business...

I have a garmin GPS but i rarely use it anymore and its mainly more of a back up for my phone
Make It Happen
brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:49 am

Can u mark way points offline

Schubox1265

Unread postby Schubox1265 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:56 am

brkissl82 wrote:Can u mark way points offline

Absolutely
brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:18 am

Hmm yea thats what I did loaded the map previously b4 I went then it just seems like the map is so slow when I zoom in and out its like half a map

Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:45 am

maps with me app. kinda like google maps, so not sure if its good for plotting hunting spots, but it does not use any internet data for it to work.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:20 am

lostinstateforest wrote:
bigwoodsmn wrote:I use "MyTrails" and "Backcountry Navigator" offline - you might try those ones.

Hard to beat Back country navigator imho. I recently found I can upload and download with Cal topo to this app. As far as lack of reception I only need gps. Also I found to not turn the gps off ever. It's easier to stay connected than reconnect.

lostinstateforest - which phone do you have? there is a free app named "gsp airtime" that helps some devices with gps connectivity when in airplane mode.https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.crittermap.gps.gpsairtime

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”