Thoughts on this approach with trail cameras...

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Landonk

Thoughts on this approach with trail cameras...

Unread postby Landonk » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:23 am

I have 4-5 trail cameras that I have accumulated over the years. All of them are the red glowing LED type lights. Most do video, which I prefer.

Let's say I have a bedding area that I suspect is being used, perhaps on a knob, hill top, ridge...etc. There is no way to shine a light in this area. No access road to glass from and basically no way to monitor the deer other than being there, or having cameras.

Instead of my past approach of putting a camera, 2 at most, on different properties I hunt, I am thinking of concentrating all of my cameras into this one general area, assuming there is a buck in there that I want to kill. I plan to try and cover various trails that I think will lead to and from the bedding areas during the most common wind for the area. I have no idea where they are feeding at night since there are no crops nearby, corn feeders or anything like that. If I do find a suspected feeding area I could put a camera in that area too. After season I could go as far as trying to get a camera on the bed, or just outside of the bed.

I know one big potential downfall of this approach is too much scent in the area, which is why I will likely wait until after season to give it a try one spot at a time. I know I am not the only thinking of taking this approach to learn as much as possible about a specific buck.

What are some of the other pitfalls you can see with this approach?
Thanks

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Thoughts on this approach with trail cameras...

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:57 am

I like the idea. The cameras can only give valuable information if the deer can move around them with out being alarmed. What causes a buck to be cameras Shy? Human intrusion. This can be visual as well as scent left behind. If you can get in set them up and let them run you could gain some info. If you go in and check every 2 weeks I think your valuable information will be slim.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:38 pm

Personally I would spread the cameras into separate areas until you find the buck you want to shoot then focus all or most in that area like you are saying…

Thats just my opinion...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Landonk

Unread postby Landonk » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:43 pm

PalmettoKid wrote:Personally I would spread the cameras into separate areas until you find the buck you want to shoot then focus all or most in that area like you are saying…

Thats just my opinion...

Thinking ahead to next season, this might be how I approach it in the summer. Spread the cameras / scouting into different areas and find a shooter, then pool all the resources into his area to learn as much as possible about travel routes and patterns before season. I like the concept, but I have a feeling it will take some careful planning to pull off without spooking a mature buck from the area. Perhaps only going in to pull cards prior to heavy rains in order to help wash away scent is one tool to utilize.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”