New hunter with a quick question

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

buckassassin

New hunter with a quick question

Unread postby buckassassin » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:01 am

Hello all this is a first for many things for me, first post , first time hunting etc. anyways i first found out about Dan when i read the article in Field and Stream, since then i have been hooked on trying to hunt like him. I have never hunted before and the very first shot i had, was on a buckl and i blew it right under him at like 12 yrds from a tree stand. Anyways my question is can the tactics that dan teach be applied to does also bc honestly i would be greatful at getting anything my first year, thanks in advance

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Re: New hunter with a quick question

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:17 am

Yes
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:20 am

All deer, in all honesty once you get good and used to the tactics on here does are almost a gimme. I had only killed one doe with a bow before finding the beast. This year I was pounding them with little effort and it was just hunting the basics. The only variable is does and non mature bucks often group up where your battling more eyes ears and noses, but otherwise its pretty much the same only easier.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:25 am

Welcome to the Beast. The closer you can get to any animals day time hang out, the better your chances of seeing them.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:27 am

I sometimes setup blind without scouting to check out new areas. I lot of those guesses turn out to be doe bedding areas, I generally pass them all up because I don't want to drag a doe that far so yes they tactics work and work well.
buckassassin

Unread postby buckassassin » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:10 am

Thank you for all of the replies

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”