Shining tips

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Country
500 Club

Shining tips

Unread postby Country » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:10 pm

I have only been out shining a couple of times just to give the new light a test. I have only had maybe 1 or 2 sightings. Do you guys have any shining tips?? How do you go about shining when you have traffic behind you? I feel like I can't/shouldn't just pull over on a 2 lane highway. Any input and/or suggestions relating to shining would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

BigHunt

Re: Shining tips

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:12 pm

well first of all I wouldn't be shinning on a high way ...draws to much attention to you!. second I would only shine back roads or roads that but up against public or adjacent property's you can hunt ...one of MY biggest no nos is DONT NOT HIT ANY ONES HOUSE WITH THE LIGHT....just pear respect right there! another thing I do is I don't shine when other cars are around ..#1 they may be hunters trying to cash in on your scouting or #2 they might anti-shinners and get harassed like I did last summer. and this isn't the best time to shine ..im winding down know that my season is over but I will start up again in mid june
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Country
500 Club

Unread postby Country » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:30 am

BigHunt wrote:well first of all I wouldn't be shinning on a high way ...draws to much attention to you!. second I would only shine back roads or roads that but up against public or adjacent property's you can hunt ...one of MY biggest no nos is DONT NOT HIT ANY ONES HOUSE WITH THE LIGHT....just pear respect right there! another thing I do is I don't shine when other cars are around ..#1 they may be hunters trying to cash in on your scouting or #2 they might anti-shinners and get harassed like I did last summer. and this isn't the best time to shine ..im winding down know that my season is over but I will start up again in mid june

Good tips thanks! I totally agree with not shining peoples houses...that would be beyond annoying for the homeowner. I think I'm going to have to find some areas to hunt that actually have fields off of back roads that I can safely shine without drawing attention. Looking forward to some summer shining.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:54 am

I partially disagee. Shining can a valuable tool in the late season when you are looking for a target buck to hunt. If shining is legal and the season is open, there are limited reasons to not shine if you soft shine.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:22 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:I partially disagee. Shining can a valuable tool in the late season when you are looking for a target buck to hunt. If shining is legal and the season is open, there are limited reasons to not shine if you soft shine.

Yep agreed...
Ok I should of said if ur not tagged out by late season..then I would also shine then too :lol:

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:13 am

One tip I have is to look at moon position prior to shining and weather... If you shine when they are all night bedded you won't see much, but if you hit it when they are feeding heavy you will see a lot more3, so timing has a lot to do with it.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:19 am

I shine all year round. It never hurts to keep track of what the local deer herd is doing or what they are feeding on. This time of the year before shedding starts is a great time to take inventory of the bucks that made it thru the season.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:56 am

Bring binoculars or even better video camera. Save time by only shining near where you can hunt. If you spot a good buck go back later and look at the tracks

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
iplan

Unread postby iplan » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:59 pm

Never shined before, and I want to start doing it this late season.

I bought something I think would work.... now I'm not so sure.

I got a Cyclops Sirius LED Rechargeable hand Held Spotlight ~~~~ rated at 300 lumens.

What is the minimum number of Lumens you'd recommend?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:54 am

iplan wrote:Never shined before, and I want to start doing it this late season.

I bought something I think would work.... now I'm not so sure.

I got a Cyclops Sirius LED Rechargeable hand Held Spotlight ~~~~ rated at 300 lumens.

What is the minimum number of Lumens you'd recommend?

I have no idea how to rate "lumens" we usually go by candle power. Rechargables in general don't work as good cause they loose power so quickly and are rarely at full power when you need it.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:20 pm

I read the Illinois book recently and it doesn't allow shining from VEHICLE. OK I know how to deal with that.
My plan is to use a backpack, portable jumpstarter and my spotlight for recon. The exercise will prep me for season and the route will be far from roads but on a bike path where deer always see\smell people.
Does that sound like a good BEAST plan?

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:24 am

justdirtyfun wrote:I read the Illinois book recently and it doesn't allow shining from VEHICLE. OK I know how to deal with that.
My plan is to use a backpack, portable jumpstarter and my spotlight for recon. The exercise will prep me for season and the route will be far from roads but on a bike path where deer always see\smell people.
Does that sound like a good BEAST plan?

Just make3 sure its legal on foot 1st...
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:22 am

Wish we could do this in Mo. Jealous of you guys that can :D
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:24 pm

I'm with you there mobigbucks!

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:51 pm

Please tell me if this makes sense....it would be a good idea to log all the variables when you shine and see deer. Out in my front few acres, prior yo really cold weather does are out feeding frequently ....ive told myself if i would log everything i could probably see a pattern to there appearances. Also, i know where tbey are coming from so this could help predict under what conditions i should sit in the area.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”