Would you setup a stand here?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bucky

Re: Would you setup a stand here?

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:01 pm

Yes.... hang n leave it

[ Post made via Android ] Image

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:06 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:That NE corner of that western 40 is probably a dynamite spot too. There is probably a good crossover across the point as the draw to the west will push the travel high, but i would sit west of it on most days to take advantage of typical winds.

I picked Buckys spot before this one, so id put more effort in that spot. A lot depends on pressure. If you are dealing with hunters in a lawn chair I would examine your other spots.

I've always wanted to hunt that 40 but I have no idea how to access it....it's super difficult to get to since I can't come in from the top. Especially going in with a stand.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:07 pm

Bucky wrote:Yes.... hang n leave it

Ok...I appreciate the help! I am going to get out and hang it tomorrow since we're supposed to have some rain.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:11 pm

Good luck

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:24 pm

checkerfred wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:That NE corner of that western 40 is probably a dynamite spot too. There is probably a good crossover across the point as the draw to the west will push the travel high, but i would sit west of it on most days to take advantage of typical winds.

I picked Buckys spot before this one, so id put more effort in that spot. A lot depends on pressure. If you are dealing with hunters in a lawn chair I would examine your other spots.

I've always wanted to hunt that 40 but I have no idea how to access it....it's super difficult to get to since I can't come in from the top. Especially going in with a stand.

A spot that rarely receives pressure. Sounds great to me. You have nothing to lose by trying. Start early, take your time, it isnt a race, and get er done!

checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:47 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:
checkerfred wrote:

A spot that rarely receives pressure. Sounds great to me. You have nothing to lose by trying. Start early, take your time, it isnt a race, and get er done!

Would an area like that be suitable for hunting from the ground? Since it's gun season, I would think you could be on a ridge point over from that point and still cover it
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:59 am

checkerfred wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:
checkerfred wrote:

Would an area like that be suitable for hunting from the ground? Since it's gun season, I would think you could be on a ridge point over from that point and still cover it

Yes, it can be done if visibility allows; however, there is a chance a non-target (pass) deer could bust you and blow the hunt.

Most guys on this site are going to set up on these ridge spots under leeward conditions with their stand high so their scent stream is above the thermal tunnel.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:22 am

In big hills when hunting with a rifle I have killed two nice bucks sitting in a chair on a ridge pt.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:33 am

Bucky wrote:In big hills when hunting with a rifle I have killed two nice bucks sitting in a chair on a ridge pt.

I would avoid sitting on that point. There is a good chance there are beds at the tip of it.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:40 am

So how would you hunt it then? I'm so frustrated right now... I scouted a point coming off to the big Valley and found a bed with rubs... I'm frustrated to because I have no access from the top.... I'll post pics later

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:57 am

checkerfred wrote:So how would you hunt it then? I'm so frustrated right now... I scouted a point coming off to the big Valley and found a bed with rubs... I'm frustrated to because I have no access from the top.... I'll post pics later

I'd sit on the north border of that 40, preferably on the east side of the point. Although west may be easier for you given the access. We are getting on to the limits of cyber scounting. Boot leather is in order or a mobile approach while hunting.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”