Glassing Farmland Bucks

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

superseal

Glassing Farmland Bucks

Unread postby superseal » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:39 am

I've been reading several threads in the scouting forum. I mostly hunt farm land and would like to do some glassing during the summer months. Some of the woodlots are 400-600 yards from the road. Should I invest in some good binos or a spotting scope? Size and power would be helpful too. Thanks.

Southern Man
500 Club

Re: Glassing Farmland Bucks

Unread postby Southern Man » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:03 am

I carry a pair of burris 10X50's in the truck. I also have a pair of leopold 8X42's as well. Most of the time those I take hunting. I think the quality is most important than the power. Good glass makes all the difference in detail and light.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:13 am

I have a pair of Nikon 10x42's that I used this year just for that purpose. I started hunting a new area. They did nicely. I would like to have a spotting scope but I don't think it would benefit me much.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
P&YBuck1
500 Club

Unread postby P&YBuck1 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:50 am

I was thinking of using a portable shinning light since some of my fields are off the road and below a hill so hard to see unless you walk in some.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:27 pm

I do a lot of glassing and use 7x50s I like the light gathering 50s.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:48 am

I prefer to have both in the truck. I like the speed of the binos and its my preferred glass to use when driving down the road. However, I use my spotting scope if I'm sitting for the night (w/ tripod or window mount). I like the extra magnification
superseal

Unread postby superseal » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:33 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:I prefer to have both in the truck. I like the speed of the binos and its my preferred glass to use when driving down the road. However, I use my spotting scope if I'm sitting for the night (w/ tripod or window mount). I like the extra magnification

As for the binos, I may try to use what I have. A spotting scope would be new to me. Any brand, magnification or features that are "must have"...?
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:45 am

superseal wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:I prefer to have both in the truck. I like the speed of the binos and its my preferred glass to use when driving down the road. However, I use my spotting scope if I'm sitting for the night (w/ tripod or window mount). I like the extra magnification
me

As for the binos, I may try to use what I have. A spotting scope would be new to me. Any brand, magnification or features that are "must have"...?

I can't comment. I won my Burris spotting scope at a banquet. I have no complaints. I'd rather have more magnification than less when glassing farmland. I think I top out at 24x and sometimes I wish i had more.
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:01 am

few points here-

hang some observation stands or locate trees or power poles to do this w a lw. Dont ask about the legality of poles..... SIlos and barns work too

DO NOT tip off others as to what youre doing. Thsi si very easy to w a spotter hanging out of your window....fake cell calls, or break downs... and dont be patternable. Match moon phases and wind to your mission and its correlation
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
superseal

Unread postby superseal » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:15 am

gjs4 wrote:few points here-

hang some observation stands or locate trees or power poles to do this w a lw. Dont ask about the legality of poles..... SIlos and barns work too

DO NOT tip off others as to what youre doing. Thsi si very easy to w a spotter hanging out of your window....fake cell calls, or break downs... and dont be patternable. Match moon phases and wind to your mission and its correlation

very interesting.....and some good info....thanks!
MN Legacy
500 Club
Facebook: Brent Bushy

Unread postby MN Legacy » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:57 pm

I normally glass from the road and use my binos. I have a few spots that I wish I had a spotting scope. That's why this spring I think I'm going to buy a Vortex Diamondback scope.

[ Post made via Windows Smartphone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”