enter/exit direction from bed

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Re: enter/exit direction from bed

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:12 am

When a buck does a J hook, whether to his bed(s)/does beds or scrapes, is there a general distance from his intended destination that he will hook around that has been observed? I have read about this before, that if you can catch them in this j hooking pattern that it can be a really good spot as they feel safer when doing that (???) but I just didn't know the typical distance to set up to try and catch this.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:25 am

mheichelbech wrote:When a buck does a J hook, whether to his bed(s)/does beds or scrapes, is there a general distance from his intended destination that he will hook around that has been observed? I have read about this before, that if you can catch them in this j hooking pattern that it can be a really good spot as they feel safer when doing that (???) but I just didn't know the typical distance to set up to try and catch this.

In my opinion it varies to much to give a number... The most predictable one is the hill point bed where the hook usually bends at about the 1/3 up thew hill mark. The rest need to be observed, or look at tracks in the snow of the exact bed your wondering about. It has to do with air currents that us as humans can't see or smell.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:50 am

CZ,

What food sources are there in either direction?
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:34 am

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:CZ,

What food sources are there in either direction?

This year…. to the west 300-400 yards is acorns, 1-2 miles food plots, corn, and beans. Also will have to cross a small river.

to the east about a mile acorns, food plots. walk through all cattails and water.

I think the buck that is bedding there is traveling down the west trail or taking the east trail and eventually going north and looping back towards the west. Hard to say…Some spot checking and trail cam surveillance will help in deciphering this I think.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”