The moon charts are real !

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Spysar
500 Club

Re: The moon charts are real !

Unread postby Spysar » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:38 am

dreaming bucks wrote:
Spysar wrote:It's the same buck, in his summer pattern. I doubt the moon had much to do with his appearance.

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't a summer pattern, but I will say this, those two pics are within a few days of each other & the time was almost 3 hrs difference... & like I said, the pics were within minutes of the moon transit that day... Definately worth future comparison in my book...

Say that buck frequents a dozen spots. That means there's eleven spots where a cam wouldn't have gotten a pic of that buck at that point in time....and yeah, it's cool you got pics that coincide with the moon charts, but two pics of the same buck in the same spot isn't much scientific info to go on. Now if you had a hundred (more would be better),pics of different bucks, in different spots that coincided with the moon, that would be different. All I'm really saying, is I believe the moon could possibly have some effect on deer movement, but there are quite a few factors that trump the moon. Like wind, weather, and temperature, amount of daylight...buck to doe ratios, Even the condition of the crops...

A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
BigRed

Unread postby BigRed » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:22 pm

I believe the moon greatly effects deer movement. After reading Jeff Murrays book several years ago, i began to pay attention. However, I regret not making a journal of my observations for concrete evindence. On many different occasions over the past few years i have seen deer movement that coincides directly with "moon times." This includes mature bucks, some were during the early pre rut, so one could argue the bucks would be on their feet anyway, but i believe the moon plays a vital role in deer movement. Like others have said weather probably plays a part, but if conditions are good, i think the moon is a large factor in deer movement. Just my .02.
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:32 pm

I don't have a moon chart, but someone could check it and see what the moon chart said for this morning (8-26-10) like around 6:30 a.m. til around 7:30 I seen bucks on there feet eating in the crop fields at that time of the day as I was driving around the neighborhood checking the area out.
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:12 pm

3:56 PM for SW Michigan
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”