Regrouping now for a productive rest of the season

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Crazinamatese

Re: Regrouping now for a productive rest of the season

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:41 am

dan wrote:
Crazinamatese wrote:I gotta do some cyber scouting and find some MFL land with corn or soybean near it. Pretty much all public land in my area have no crops near by. I think finding a good food source is the key going into late season.

Check out the swamps with red dogwood, and new growth trees in areas logged in rec ent years... Crops are not the only food sources that attract late season deer.

Good call. I do hunt some MFL that was logged off last year with new growth on it. Do you think hunting in areas that had a good acorn crop will be productive this late in the year?

The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:08 pm

Do you think hunting in areas that had a good acorn crop will be productive this late in the year?
No
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:28 pm

Gonna put my cameras back out now that gun season is over and pray for some tracking snow. Scouting looking for tracks is really tough right now with frozen rock hard ground and little to no snow.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:01 pm

dan wrote:
Crazinamatese wrote:I gotta do some cyber scouting and find some MFL land with corn or soybean near it. Pretty much all public land in my area have no crops near by. I think finding a good food source is the key going into late season.

Check out the swamps with red dogwood, and new growth trees in areas logged in rec ent years... Crops are not the only food sources that attract late season deer.

That's a good point. with all the pressure of gun season more remote food sources could be good. Any other reliable food sources you guys have found common during late season? Its important to be dialed in to exactly what the bucks are doing now to be successful this time of year.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:12 pm

adrenalin wrote:
dan wrote:

That's a good point. with all the pressure of gun season more remote food sources could be good. Any other reliable food sources you guys have found common during late season? Its important to be dialed in to exactly what the bucks are doing now to be successful this time of year.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16764&p=207636&hilit=+eating#p207636

People had a lot to say about that last yr around this time

[ Post made via Android ] Image
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:32 pm

Thanks hunter Mike. That link had some good advice. I can scratch acorns off the list. Im not experienced in late season archery tactics. I grew up in farm country and deer would pound the alfalfa and whatever crop was buried under the snow in the fields. I hunt hill country and some marsh land now with no agriculture. Glad to have all you guys to ask.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:23 pm

I still have a bow tag and buck tag in the CWD zone, but I don't think I'll have the time to get out. I'll likely be looking at aerials and focusing in on 2-3 properties to learn well this offseason. If I do get out, it'll be more of a scouting missing with a muzzleloader or gun on me (Holiday hunt).

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”