Leeward bedding in cold weather and wind question.

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Black Squirrel
500 Club

Leeward bedding in cold weather and wind question.

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:45 am

Saturday for the gun opener, I sat the leeward side of a ridge. It was cold with windchills below 0.We had a NW wind, so this put me on a SE facing slope. This happens to be the side of a ridge with exposure to the sun. I saw 25 does and fawns and 6 bucks including ,a 135-140 inch 10 pointer chasing a doe. Point being I saw lots of deer. Sunday comes along and we have a SW wind, under generally same cold windy conditions. I decide to set up on the leeward side of a differnt ridge. This puts me on a North facing slope. With the ground covered in an inch of snow it seemed very cold, sitting in the shadow of the hill. I saw a lone doe fawn up on the top. My question, is this. Will deer still bed on the leeward side of the hill under these conditons? I go from seeing lots of deer under the first senoario to seeing one deer the second. Granted being the second day of gun season, might have something to do with it, but I can't help but think, there would be more comfortable bedding spots during this cold spell. What have you guys noticed under these conditons.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Leeward bedding in cold weather and wind question.

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:54 am

Deer often hang out on the sunny side of the hill under cold conditions. This would be under any wind direction. The south slopes are in the sun on cold days prevailing winds are generally North so you must take this into consideration.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:15 am

Winter patterns and COLD temps shift behavior to South facing slopes....

135-140 buck is a definite shooter this year! Antler growth is poor overall...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:25 am

Bucky wrote:Winter patterns and COLD temps shift behavior to South facing slopes....

I would have to agree many of my friends are having a tough year. I would say for sure I have seen less good bucks this year. My trail cameras also prove this to be true. I do still have some running so it should be interesting to see what they produce for pictures.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:03 am

Stanley wrote:
Bucky wrote:Winter patterns and COLD temps shift behavior to South facing slopes....

I would have to agree many of my friends are having a tough year. I would say for sure I have seen less good bucks this year. My trail cameras also prove this to be true. I do still have some running so it should be interesting to see what they produce for pictures.

I agree 100%, and regret not shooting him. I also passed a 10 a bit smaller with the bow. The locals are saying the tough winter and late spring really took a toll on antler development this year.
May-39

Unread postby May-39 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:45 pm

Thanks for asking question was going to try and answer same question for myself tracking in big woods this weekend....
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:23 am

X2 for both statements. I'm seeing significantly less deer over 140 this year. I usually I see several. This year I can count them on one hand. I may be kicking myself for some early November decisions.

As for bedding tendencies in addition to what has been stated, look for clusters of pine, spruce, cedar, etc on points. These provide superior thermal protection in the form of superior solar absorption and wind shelter. Also, based on my experience, note that doe groups will make this sacrifice sooner than mature bucks. Doe bedding will also move within closer proximity to local food sources earlier than mature bucks; this applies outside hill country too.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”