Do thermal tunnels exist on mini ridges?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jeff G
500 Club

Do thermal tunnels exist on mini ridges?

Unread postby Jeff G » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:21 am

Heres the set up: Land I hunt. I harvested a nice 7 point last weekend here. I set up leeward side, third way down. Text book set up. I had success. That happened on a long ridge which bucks like to cruise on. I like to set up on it, due to the wind and how long the cruising area is.

I'm heading back to hunt this weekend. We are expecting a SE wind. My set up does not work with a SE wind as well.

My question: Do bucks cruise on mini ridges created by "nobs" in hill country. See the map I attached. The north (top) portion has a series of nobs. they create small thermal tunnel zones. Is this something does or bucks would hang out in. It is not a long ridge like i like to set up when playing a thermal tunnel out.

Please review and show me how you would set up for a SE wind in a situation like this.

Thanks guy!!!! good luck out there.

BigHunt

Re: Do thermal tunnels exist on mini ridges?

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:28 am

From what I learnef from dans scouting work shop....yes...

I was shocked my self being a hill country hunter that just a smallhill has the thermal affect

[ Post made via Android ] Image
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:31 am

And at a 1000 ft elevation thats more then enough for thermals to take place...

The hill in the scouting work shop was no more then 30 feet

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:37 am

My gut tells me that the thermals exist, I look at those small north nobs as thermal zones. would a buck just stay bedded in those zones for safety? they do not seem like a long traditional tunnel that takes place on a long leeward ridge. are those small valleys worth hunting if there is not a long cruising range? Thanks big hunt for the feedback.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:54 am

Jeff G wrote:My gut tells me that the thermals exist, I look at those small north nobs as thermal zones. would a buck just stay bedded in those zones for safety? they do not seem like a long traditional tunnel that takes place on a long leeward ridge. are those small valleys worth hunting if there is not a long cruising range? Thanks big hunt for the feedback.

Yes I think they would stay in that zone....also I think them hidden points in vallys are great because the wind wipes in evey direction so they get almost total coverage of the area....but also the hardest beds to hunt

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:18 am

BigHunt wrote:
Jeff G wrote:My gut tells me that the thermals exist, I look at those small north nobs as thermal zones. would a buck just stay bedded in those zones for safety? they do not seem like a long traditional tunnel that takes place on a long leeward ridge. are those small valleys worth hunting if there is not a long cruising range? Thanks big hunt for the feedback.

Yes I think they would stay in that zone....also I think them hidden points in vallys are great because the wind wipes in evey direction so they get almost total coverage of the area....but also the hardest beds to hunt

X2. Great post Big Hunt.

Thermals exist everywhere. Even in the flattest of country. They define a lot of bedding tendencies. Keep dropping those milkweed seeds all year from scouting to hunting season.

chasemukluk

Unread postby chasemukluk » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:00 am

Jeff G wrote:Heres the set up: Land I hunt. I harvested a nice 7 point last weekend here. I set up leeward side, third way down. Text book set up. I had success. That happened on a long ridge which bucks like to cruise on. I like to set up on it, due to the wind and how long the cruising area is.

I'm heading back to hunt this weekend. We are expecting a SE wind. My set up does not work with a SE wind as well.

My question: Do bucks cruise on mini ridges created by "nobs" in hill country. See the map I attached. The north (top) portion has a series of nobs. they create small thermal tunnel zones. Is this something does or bucks would hang out in. It is not a long ridge like i like to set up when playing a thermal tunnel out.

Please review and show me how you would set up for a SE wind in a situation like this.

Thanks guy!!!! good luck out there.

Do you mind telling me what topo software or maps you are using? Thanks!
kwaldeier
500 Club

Unread postby kwaldeier » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:03 am

X2

Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:59 pm

Acme mapper 2.0. Google it, and it should pop up. I like the tabs on the top. The terrain tab I very handy.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”