I want to get better but I don't know how

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

briar
500 Club

I want to get better but I don't know how

Unread postby briar » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:41 am

Hi folks. Kinda new here to hunting beast. I have been hunting for over 25 years with ok success, but its time that I want to get better. I have access to quite a bit of hunting ground of varying quality and varying pressure that I more or less rotate during the year based on wind direction. I have studied maps and google earth and spent time in the field as much as I can which isn't much.

What I am asking is this: How do I determine if a location even has big buck potential? What are the key ingredients that set apart one piece of property to another? I live in farm country to there is simply food everywhere. Every other field is corn and beans. Is it more or less big bucks are where you find them? This is my first year using a trail cam where can I set it up to evaluate potential?

Any help is appreciated. Ron

Bucky

Re: I want to get better but I don't know how

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:46 am

Cover - marsh, red brush, willows, drainages, sloughs, CRP an area where landowner does not allow hunting
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:41 am

off season scouting, shining, cameras, walking in winter to find beds travel routes, glassing fields, etc.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:52 am

Access is important to.... which way u walk in and how u leave

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:57 am

To me the best way to know if an area has big buck potential is not so much the bucks you see but the does you see. If an area is loaded up with a good doe population there will be big bucks around. If your neighbors are slaughtering the does your buck population will be lower. I know the magazines and TV guys tell you to kill as many does as you want. I say take a doe if you need/want one. The does control the buck population it's just that simple. Keep this in mind if you are after a big buck.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:13 am

Shine/glass in July, trail cam, tracks, rubs in that order. I have not found big bucks doing this and have not killed any either. Guys that are killing big ones find them with those tactics. Hope that's not confusing? I walked a farm with Dan and saw nothing on that farm that indicated big bucks were there, but he killed another one this year. This is why I placed tracks and rubs last.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:23 am

Does, water (creek, pond, marsh, river bottom), thick cover.... if you have those you have bedding and will have bucks to hunt
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:37 am

I think there are more big bucks then people realize too, I know of some spots that I hunt that people always say there are no deer, yet I see some sign and still see some pretty good bucks each year regardless of the sign left. When you scout and are seeing 3 and 4 finger wide tracks with dew claws you know they are in the area, up to you to find them. Having the bucks around and killing them are two very different things though.

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:38 am

Brad wrote:I think there are more big bucks then people realize too, I know of some spots that I hunt that people always say there are no deer, yet I see some sign and still see some pretty good bucks each year regardless of the sign left. When you scout and are seeing 3 and 4 finger wide tracks with dew claws you know they are in the area, up to you to find them. Having the bucks around and killing them are two very different things though.

Yup!
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:06 am

Thanks a lot guys I appreciate it. One thing we have is PLENTY of does. Our ground is very chunked up. You may have permission on 100 acres but not the 500 around it. I read a lot on here about Marshes but in my immediate area that just doesn't exist with any kind of regularity....but I do have a spot that is all dammed up by beavers providing a good standing water swamp..would this qualify??
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:26 am

Brad wrote:I think there are more big bucks then people realize too, I know of some spots that I hunt that people always say there are no deer, yet I see some sign and still see some pretty good bucks each year regardless of the sign left. When you scout and are seeing 3 and 4 finger wide tracks with dew claws you know they are in the area, up to you to find them. Having the bucks around and killing them are two very different things though.

Yup, don't need to see the dew claws though.

briar wrote:Thanks a lot guys I appreciate it. One thing we have is PLENTY of does. Our ground is very chunked up. You may have permission on 100 acres but not the 500 around it. I read a lot on here about Marshes but in my immediate area that just doesn't exist with any kind of regularity....but I do have a spot that is all dammed up by beavers providing a good standing water swamp..would this qualify??

Probably. If there are high spots big enough for a buck to bed on.

A sighting is best to know he's there and how big he is, but those big tracks (look for unique markings from the hooves to identify each individual buck) is number two in my book. Actually, tracks are usually my #1. You can find big bucks just by cruising around looking for tracks.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”